Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard at Cowra in 1974, what became of it?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Posting this pic on behalf of Heather M. Says she's shy and asked me to do it for her! I've also included some "edited" comments she sent with the pic.

"......wonder what happened to this car? I was on a holiday in 1974 and must have been hunting down Packard's, even back then. Well, I probably asked people did they know of any? as you do. This car was at Cowra, the guy had a few other cars if I remember correctly. They were stored out of town and we went and had a look and I took some photos."

So, if any Aussie members know it's fate, Heather would be interested to hear what became of it.

EDIT - Larger pic's added

Attach file:

jpg  (3.42 KB)
226_4df0596a06e29.jpg 128X125 px

jpg  (15.78 KB)
226_4df05a55a8955.jpg 423X512 px

jpg  (25.51 KB)
226_4df05afc62ca7.jpg 512X500 px

Posted on: 2011/6/9 0:27
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard at Cowra in 1974, what became of it?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Received an email from HeatherM, with more information coming to light regarding the Packard in question, edited version below advising:

"....remember that Packard Hearse at Cowra, well John tracked it down, apparently someone bought it and tried to turn it into a roadster but didn't have the correct body and eventually gave up on it. BobD[i](Packard guy in Adelaide) bought it... but he doesn't even know what it once looked like?? John went to SA to Bob's last weekend to get a clutch plate for the 443, also to collect Tyres and bits they bought at Hershey last year.....John was looking at all his cars and chassis and parts etc., that Bob has in a big workshop. Anyway John saw it amongst Bob's stuff..... but he has recognized it as the hearse. It is only the chassis, engine, mudguards and wheels now and Bob has recently swapped a body for it from a guy near Shepparton,Vic, to make a 6cyl roadster......John told me in 1974 it belonged to DonK(not sure of spelling) who had the caravan park in Cowra,(see, I didn't remember that) then in 1979 John looked Don up in Cowra and saw all his cars like I did in 74, but this time Don owned the Newspaper shop.(he still had the Packard) John thinks he became a member of our club for awhile but then the trail goes cold. Maybe you have heard of him?[/i]...."

I didn't know of DonK, having only been in PACA since 2007, so referred that to PACA's Membership Secretary who also happens to be DavidM here on PackardInfo. David's edited reply below:

".....could not find DonK on our register of members past and present however I remember his name and his car from the dim past. There is an excellent photo of his car on page 210 of the Second James Flood book. It is listed as a Packard 3rd Series Eight Roadster and owned by DonK of Cocora so I guess that makes it a 343. It has wire wheels and a rear spare. A few years ago a friend showed me a photo of what I am sure is the same car that he spotted in a shed along with a few other cars. I think it was on the South Coast. It seems the car is still around....."

I'd be interested to see the pic that David referred to. And it looks like Heather is slowly finding the pieces needed to put this jig-saw puzzle together.

Posted on: 2011/7/30 0:33
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Don Kibbler, He also had some early Twin Six stuff which was purchased mainly by Peter Boyce. Peter

Posted on: 2011/7/30 2:47
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Ozstatman wrote:.....I'd be interested to see the pic that David referred to.....

My curiosity is satisfied. David forwarded a copy of the pic referred to and also a note to say it ISN'T the car first pictured here.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.21 KB)
226_4e34135d7c58f.jpg 480X360 px

Posted on: 2011/7/30 9:20
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved