Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 210

moodydavid16, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Help Oil Pan
Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
As I recall, it's real simple. Remove the two bolts from the idler arm opn the RH frame rail, pull the center of the linkage down and you'll have plenty of room. NOthing is disturbed, no need to realign front end.

Posted on: 2011/6/16 21:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information
Pull it/not pull it was answered for me back in high School. My brother and I inherited our Grandmothers '69 Impala that developed a leaky rear main. We had a couple of weeks of discussions about dropping the pan or pulling the engine. I won with pulling the engine. With the two of us we had it out in an hour. IMHO, that saved us six hours of cussing while crawling under that damn thing and having oil drip down our necks.

I wasn't too many years later I made an engine tilter to keep them balanced and we decided the transmission should always come with it. After a few times, the job really isn't that hard, if you have the right tools.

Posted on: 2011/6/16 21:47
1954 Clipper Super Touring Sedan -5462
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The typical Packard pan also had a tendency to stretch or distort the area around the holes when bolts were tightened. Depress the hole area down with a ball peen hammer or similar to ensure the flat area between holes can provide good pressure to the gasket. Would be a good idea to use a straightedge along the length and ensure a nice flat surface for the gasket to seal against before you reinstall it.

Posted on: 2011/6/16 21:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Removing the oil pan for cleaning annually was a Packard maintenance recommendation for many years. You can be sure they didn't intend that their service folks pull the engine each year just to clean the pan. It's been quite a long time since I last pulled the oil pan on a 51-54 but I doubt it took more than 1 hour once the car was on jackstands.

Though quarters can be a bit cramped, you can also replace main and rod bearings, rear seal, remove/install rods and pistons, etc. all without removing the engine.

Posted on: 2011/6/16 22:19
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Brian
See User information
Got it. Thanks to everyone.

Posted on: 2011/6/19 21:51
Thanks Brian
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved