Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 130

Don B, BDeB, markmdz, jwblazek, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Super 8 repair needed ASAP
Just popping in
Just popping in

Skip Hicks
See User information
Hello, I am a fleet manager with a transportation company needing a mechanic who can work on our Super 8. Foam is coming out of the radiator, but not over heating. We need this beauty worked on ASAP for we are using for weddings and special occassions. We are located in nashville, TN. We will have vehicle transported were ever the mechanic is. Please let me know whos out there and any info would be appreciated. Skip Hicks 615.785.9441 or shicks@grandavenuelimo.com. Thanks guys!!!

Posted on: 2011/6/22 8:16
 Top  Print   

Re: Super 8 repair needed ASAP
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Check the oil level! Perhaps the oil cooler (heat exchanger) has sprung a leak. Since when running the oil pressure is higher that the coolant pressure, oil leaks into the coolant and foams. It will be easier to remove the heat exchanger and send it out for repair than to send the entire car. The heat exchanger can be checked for leaks just like to check a tire for leaks; pressurize it with air and put it under water and look for bubbles.

How about deleting your redundant posts?

Posted on: 2011/6/22 8:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
E-mail sent for Mark Lambert contact informatin.

Posted on: 2011/6/22 8:56
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Duplicate posts removed from the other forums.

Posted on: 2011/6/22 9:53
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
To Skip Hicks,

Foam in the cooling system is also a sign of a leaky head gasket. Teh hint on tholi cooler is correct only if it is a 30-32 Super 8 or Eight Deluxe. If it is a 40-50 Super 8 there is no oil cooler.

Posted on: 2011/6/22 12:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Good info, Fred. I've corresponded with Skip, and he says it's a 1935 Standard Eight.

Posted on: 2011/6/22 12:30
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Teh hint on tholi cooler is correct only if it is a 30-32 Super 8 or Eight Deluxe.

Fred - please explain what you meant by that. Oil coolers were used on the Senior Eights starting in 1934 with the ungraded oiling system (full-flow filter, finned rod caps, etc.) and used (I'm pretty sure) thru the end of the 320/385 engine run.

And yes, a blown head gasket is another possibility, probably more likely than the heat exchanger. I guess the reason I looked on the oil cooler as a culprit is that it has happened to me and to most 1934 Eight and Super Eight owners - hence the cooler redesign in 1935. Getting all that oil out of your radiator and engine is a nasty, prolonged job!!

Posted on: 2011/6/22 13:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
O_D

I wasn't sure if the oil cooler started in 33 or 34 adn was gong to exclude the 30-32 in my note, but with the interrupting phone calls etc I lost track and included only 30-32.

Poster said he had a Super 8 which technically could not be a 30-32 which were Eight Deluxes if 384" engine. Turns out he had a Standard Eight, which isn;t a Standard but actually an Eight. Enough technicalities, my bet is on a blown head gasket but could be the oil cooler ??

Posted on: 2011/6/22 14:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Fred, to help you when you're multitasking:

34 - first year for oil cooler & full-flow filter
34 - last year for babbitt rod bearings
34 - second and last year for NorthEast dual coil equipment.
34 - last year for metal inner tube valve stems

Posted on: 2011/6/22 15:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Very easy tester to use to check for leaking head gasket, cracked block or head.

https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?A=BK_7001006_0282450468&An=0

Posted on: 2011/6/22 17:56
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved