Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
191 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 187

BigKev, R H, RCJ56, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: 1949 Auto-lite Dist. Vac. Advance
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
It's likely an IGP 4502D, i have 2 just like it.

We posted on this (Assembly and connection) a bit up, and i showed all the pieces of that dist. There should be no "stop screw" or anything on that arm, and the bolt that goes through the arm and pointer and spacers, etc should be through the END of the arm. There should be only one hole in that arm, but since there is more, ignore the ones not on the end.

You mentioned you fixed it and if so, great. If it's still like it is in the above mentioned picture, when you do get a working vacuum diaphragm, and it pulls the arm, the dist can't rotate properly because the geometry is all off and the arm is trying to pull itself around a corner, instead of straight.

Put the bolt through the end of the arm, put the pointer and spacers in the right order, and put the pointer in the center of the gauge scribed on the bracket that the arm connects to. You will also find that this is going to rotate the distributor advanced some vs its current arrangement, and you might have to correct your plug wires by moving them one hole over after rotating the distributor to it's correct place.

Posted on: 2011/8/11 10:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Also, i don't have a spare vacuum can for you, as one just failed on mine a few weeks back and i swapped it out with my spare. If you're having trouble seeing how everything should be setup installed in the car, where #1 wire should be, etc, i'll be happy to take a pic for you.

Posted on: 2011/8/11 10:25
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Tim Larson
See User information
What is the part number for the vacuum can for this dist.?

What engines and models are these dist. on?

Posted on: 2011/8/12 8:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I don't know the part number, but both of my distributors were from a 53 327.

You could call max merrit or kanter and tell them you need a vacuum actuator for an autolite 4502 and they likely have what you need in stock.

Posted on: 2011/8/12 9:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The number on your distributor would indicate an Auto-lite starter motor. Here's a list of Auto-lite vacuum cans, the cars they are used on, and illustrations of some of the types. It may not help, but it can't hurt.

Attach file:

jpg  (81.09 KB)
188_4e45410dddb6c.jpg 880X982 px

Posted on: 2011/8/12 10:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000022d~Z5Z5Z5AABHP~P125.00~~~~S3AD0SCT1P75185114550F~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000022D#

Posted on: 2011/8/12 12:19
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved