Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 213

JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

53 Caribbean
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
I've been looking at some 53 Caribbeans, they are all in condition #2 with some being very strong #2 and some being very weak #2. The prices are so varied. From $130K for the highest to $55K for the lowest. The lowest is in really nice shape to, I thought $55K is a pretty good price? What do you all think?

Posted on: 2011/7/15 22:42
 Top  Print   

Re: 53 Caribbean
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
As with any item, a buyer and a seller decide the price.

In the 1960's many of our Packards were just cars with no dealer network to support their operation and maintenance. Therefore many received superior attention and well, many didn't.

Things to look for on a 53 Caribbean...check the engine number to make sure it is a 327 cu inch and in the series that were assigned to the 53 Caribbean. The engine number chart found on this website is a great tool for this question. For many people, these Packards were just transportation, so if there was an engine issue, the engine was replaced because there were lots of 288 cu in engines available. So I've seen several senior/Caribbean cars with 288's instead of the 327.

For the Caribbeans with power windows, brake fluid was used as the working medium in many cars. Brake fluid is corrosive to metal and over time many of the window lift cylinders leaked inside the doors. So check carefully the lower door panel and the rear quarter just behind the trailing edge of the front door for evidence of paint bubbles or poor repairs.

Check the interior material. The cars were originally equipped with leather seat covering. However, many were recovered with Naugahyde in the 1970's.

Check the condition of the top. A new first class top can cost $2,000 to $3,000.

There is a very large difference in the quality of the body work and the paint on many of the cars you mentioned. A body off restoration with a $25,000 paint system is clearly different that a car with a 1970's applied enamel.

The 53 Caribbean is a beautiful car and had few systemic issues. If you can find one without the hydraulic windows and seat, you will have fewer opportunities to spend $$$ on maintenance. These Caribbeans can be driven and enjoyed. I hope you can make a good home for one.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2011/7/16 8:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Are all 53 convertibles Caribs or was there a lesser model also offered as a convertible????

Posted on: 2011/7/16 10:24
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
A lesser model was offered.

Posted on: 2011/7/16 10:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
There was a 53 convetible here localy about 5 years ago. I believe the car is gone from the area by now. Don't remeber if it was a Carib or not. It was a medium to dark green with something of a bit darker than what one would describe as a tan interior. Not running at the time I did some minor work on the car 4 or 5 years ago. It was very nice driver or maybe what one would consider a very good amatuer resto. There was alot of albeit good bondo repair on the car. It could be easily recognized by the somewhat pearescent APPEARING green paint that was actualy or most likely a case of using high temp reducer in cold weather conditions. Had a good top on it. Original leather interior showing the expected cracking but nonetheless a very nice driver quality interior.

Posted on: 2011/7/16 10:42
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
It is highly nusual to find a 53-6 Carib conv without power windows/seats. I have seen hundreds of those cars and can think of only 3 such cars including a 56 Carib Hardtop. To my miond such a cr has a lower value, so while yoiu may save on future maintenance you have a less valuable car

Brtake fluid is not corosive to metal, if it were it would corrode the indsde of brake systems. It does remove paint quite handily. If you see bubbles in the paint at the bottom of doors or quarters it is from rust from water/salt adn will appear in cars regardless of whether they have power windows or not

Posted on: 2011/7/16 10:59
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved