Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 114

Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: MORE GALENA.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...The convertible you pictured isn't a DeLuxe (or DE), they have wooden door sill trim as per the following. Since there was no 180 convertible coupe (other than the Darrin), the 160 convertible coupe was offered in an upscale version, the DE or DeLuxe. Likewise for several other 1941 models. The letters "DE" are part of the vehicle number on the patent plate.

Dave, thanks for clarifying. I was aware of the fact that the car should have wooden door sill trim to be a DeLuxe but figured that the steering wheel belongs to a DeLuxe because the 1941 Salesmen Data Book calls it "DeLuxe Steering Wheel". But now I understand that the K-shaped steering wheel has been called "DeLuxe" to distinguish the difference between the standard and the accessory.
Not easy.

Attach file:

jpg  (39.77 KB)
757_4e385aaba2c40.jpg 500X346 px

Posted on: 2011/8/2 15:14
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
What caught my eye was the gear shift handle - I was under the impression that the Clipper-style shift handle was only used on the conventional-bodied cars in 1942. Perhaps my understanding is incorrect?

GTO, the senior cars had gear-crank vent windows whether they were DE versions or not. Rear bumper and accessory items looks correct to me. Hmmm.... no sun visors - I missed that.

Dave,
You are correct in thinking the gear-shift handle is not correct for 1941 conventional-bodied cars. That is the shifter used for 1942 models.

Posted on: 2011/8/2 20:21
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I have the Clipper style shift lever/knob on my '41 180. I have always assumed that it came with the '48 356 that was transplanted into the car.

Posted on: 2011/8/2 22:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
The inspiring example for the Kremlin was a 1942 model. Its gear-shift handle is one of several evidences. All of the sovietized Packards, regardless of whether with roof or without, have that kind of handle.
The below photograph, taken in Moscow six years ago, shows a convertible.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.22 KB)
757_4e3900d701a5f.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2011/8/3 3:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
John (bozonono), your thread meanwhile arrived Russia. To bring it safe and sound back at least in the direction of Galena please find below a pic of a ZIS, emigrated to the USA and obviously a bit disoriented in questions of gear-shift handles. Another possibility is that the handle is the right way up but the car is the wrong way round.

Attach file:

jpg  (34.42 KB)
757_4e390914494e6.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2011/8/3 3:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
The green 1941 Su8 in Galena and the car in the Flickr photo have incorrect instrument panels. They are not supposed to be in body color, rather they should be in Burled Walnut woodgraining.

Check page 47 of the Packard Databook for 1941. It describes the woodgrained instrument panel and has a nice photo too.

Posted on: 2011/8/3 10:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I was wondering about that. Thanks for confirming.

Posted on: 2011/8/3 10:32
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
while the woodgraining was standard, I believe the optional "color interior" with the two tone seats and coordinating color plastic trim could be had with painted garnish moldings - not sure on dash finish with this. Not certain and there are some very knowledgeable 41 owners in this discussion, so I'd ask 'what about the "color interior option"? some place I've got the trim options list.

And Dave if all this has discouraged you I can give the car a happy home.

Posted on: 2011/8/3 11:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
On my 1941 160 convertible sedan I have the following combinations:
Woodgrained dash - burled walnut
Maroon plastic on the instument panel
Chrome trim in the door window sills and interior trim surronding the windshield

Can be seen about 35 seconds into this short video taken at the Press Preview Day for the Eyes on Design Show at the Edsel and Eleanor Ford Mansion:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcNXE09TNcI

Posted on: 2011/8/5 8:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
In the 22nd and 23rd series, the sedans had wood grain dashs but the convertibles were all body color. I have a friend with a 41 160 DE and his dash is body color.I have also see two other pre war 40 and 41s with body color dash.
I wonder which is really correct?

Posted on: 2011/8/5 8:38
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved