Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
233 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 232

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1957 Packards, Predictor Style
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dwight Heinmuller
See User information
Hello all:
I am working on a book on the 1957 Predictor-style Packards. These are the cars that were completely styled and engineered, but never produced. It is not about the 1957 Studebakers with Packard nameplates.
Any information on these cars would be very helpful to me, and credit will be given in the book.
I am looking for:
1- photos
2- documents relating to these cars, from Styling, Engineering or other departments
3- renderings from Packard Styling
4- stories about Packard from this era, from visitors to the factory and from employees
5- antyhting of any consequence
6- quarterly reports to shareholders from 1954, 1955 and 1956
7- Lehman Bros. report on Packard from c1952
8- news articles on Packard from any source
Thanks for your help.

Attach file:

jpg  (126.27 KB)
969_4e39772d37f3c.jpg 1600X829 px

Posted on: 2011/8/3 11:29
Dwight
 Top  Print   

Re: 1957 Packards, Predictor Style
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bozonono
See User information
Dwight, Once about 15 years ago when i visited the Studebaker museum in South Bend, there were some pics on display of the prototypes. I distinctly remember a front view of the the 57 with a more traditional Packard grill. It was obviously an alternative to the one displayed in case of public resistance. So you might want to contact them to see what they have packed away.

John

Posted on: 2011/8/3 12:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
'Black Bess' was the only actual prototype built, correct?

Posted on: 2011/8/3 13:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Dwight,

I'm sure you've seen the following images in PackadInfo's Photo Gallery, which I had supplied in the early days of the site:

1957 Clipper Proposal

1957 Four Hundred Proposal

1957 Caribbean Proposal

While the views look similar to what was published long ago in a few books, some appear to have been taken from a different elevation. Also the date cards in the foreground in two of the shots, as well as the setting itself, confirm that these are the real deal.

These images were cropped and resized from old 8x10 prints. The prints have an amateur appearance, but clean up nicely when resized.

I would be willing to loan you the original prints if you think they would help your cause. Let me know.

Posted on: 2011/8/3 16:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
MIDan -

I don't mean to speak for Dwight, who probably knows more about these cars than anyone else in the hobby does, but until he chimes in, 'Black Bess' was the only running, Detroit-built '57 prototype that I've ever heard of. From everything I've read, it was hastily cobbled together to show potentional lenders that the company actually had a working car - not just sketches and models.

While you may have seen several other images of the intended '57s, executed in three dimensions, they are all either full-size clays or scale models - completely non-functional.

About 10-15 years ago, a fellow from Punxsutawney, PA attempted to recreate 'Black Bess', which met with mixed opinions. A few years ago, he brought his recreation of the intended '57 chassis to the Warren Museum meet, and Packard53 (John Shireman) kindly provided us with these views:

1957 Prototype Torsion Level Demonstration Frame (1st of 2 different views)

1957 Prototype Torsion Level Demonstration Frame (2nd of 2 different views)

However, I have to question the interpretation of the carrier bearing orientation and exhaust routing - seems upside down to me.

I've no doubt the technical details of what Packard had planned to have for 1957 will be a real-eye opener.

Posted on: 2011/8/3 17:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
BH wrote However, I have to question the interpretation of the carrier bearing orientation and exhaust routing - seems upside down to me.

Hadn't paid attention to that first time around but would hope you're right. He must have put them on top to give room for the hydraulic leveling cylinders. Would think in actual practice it would be the other way around with the cylinders anchored on top or seems like some things would be a real joy to service if that was for real..

Posted on: 2011/8/3 17:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dwight Heinmuller
See User information
Black Bess was, in fact, a pre-prototype. It was built as a test vehicle to determine how well the new frame, steering and body components performed at the Proving Ground. It was not built for any other purpose. More protoypes were scheduled to be built, but alas.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 16:49
Dwight
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Poor old Black Bess was referred to as a "mule," and relegated to the scrap heap, cut to pieces. Why? I always wonder what was the reason for cutting her up? Losing secrets to competitors? Hardly seems likely, given that Packard knew they weren't going to be competing. Yet, the order was sent down to destroy it.

Seeing the car in white, 4-door form in the first post, I have to admit for the time it was pretty attractive and mainstream. Of course, Ford never would have been able to debut the Edsel if Packard had introduced this style front end first. it looks better than the eventual Edsel knockoff, IMHO.

P.S. I think a book like this is a great idea, and will help cement Packard's reputation as a cutting-edge engineering firm that would have had a positive impact on Detroit's offerings for throughout the late '50s, '60s... etc. It would've been hard for competitors to keep offering lame variations of the spring suspension for much longer, for instance. Instead, they hung onto it until, well, until forever!

Posted on: 2011/8/8 20:52
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Dwight - good luck with your book, sounds like it will be a fascinating read!

A fellow Packard enthusiast and I have been kicking around survival strategies directly related to those 57/58 proposals. I recently posted a few what-if photo alterations that play with the idea of shared platforms with other OEMs, some working in the Predictor theme. Given Packard's greatly weakened state by then, sharing sans merger might have been the only option. If you unearth any related info such as discussions that Nance et al may have had with other OEMs, beyond what James Ward has already documented, would be a fabulous addition to the lore.

Recently completed yet another what-if, this time based on the '57 Turnpike Cruiser. Will post in a separate thread.

Paul

Posted on: 2011/8/12 13:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
mules/prototypes being scrapped has I think to do with the tax laws. they are exempt from taxes on saleable vehicles but must be destroyed to prevent their sale.

Posted on: 2011/8/12 13:51
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved