Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
245 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 244

HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: What the heck happened.
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Very good Cortcomp. Very good. Give'em hell.

Posted on: 2011/8/16 9:11
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I can see why cortcomp is irritated, BUT no one should be calling anyone else on this forum insulting names OR indirectly questioning their stupidity. Civility should be the rule here as we are all on this forum to achieve the same result. We want to enjoy our Packards.
Calling each other names or insulting each others intelligence can not be tolerated.
Gentlemen - clean up your act.

Posted on: 2011/8/16 9:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I strongly agree with Randy and in fact have been debating what to say until Randy beat me to it. I can understand hightened feelings and frayed tempers, but as adults we're expected to be able to control those feelings.

As forum entries may be "for posterity", I believe cortcomp should edit his post and remove the offensive word, or have our moderator do it for him.

Posted on: 2011/8/16 9:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
After reading Fred's response to cortcomp, I feel "Condescending Jackass" is more appropriate instead of "A-Hole".

And If we are going to be policing language, lets also remind others of some decorum about respecting other posters here. Because the condescending ridicule has no place here either.

Posted on: 2011/8/16 10:36
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Agreed on all fronts. Let's keep the language in check. There are far better ways to get ones point across.

Posted on: 2011/8/16 10:56
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
This one time I say if the shoe fits. I understand Compcourt's feelings and if it were me , I would not edit the post. It should be left there for posterity.

It will be a very cold day in Buffalo before I buy anything from Kanter.

Posted on: 2011/8/16 11:21
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Edited out of respect for bigkev and others helping others on here; after all it is his house, and as they say, when in Rome.

As for better ways to get ones point across...is there a better way? He's not adjusted his attitude one bit since he got here, and care's not to help others but to prove he's right in some minor semantically technical way.

I am not one to blow my top easily, but FK has been pretty much finding any general quickly written post i throw up and trying to nitpick it to death. After spending a few WEEKS working on my fuel pump and passing the help along to have him tell me that the problem i was having doesn't exist and i'm a hillbilly, well, it's been too much.

Perhaps i should have said let the car fire and the pump prime the carb instead of the pump prime?? DOES IT MATTER?! I don't have time to sit down and edit every post of quick help for peer review and publishing.

He often bills himself as an expert on every subject, but if a problem doesn't fit in with a service manual, it doesn't exist. Or, if he's seen it before and it's not in the service manual or as described there, then experience is king and he should know because he had or saw or worked on. Which is it? Manual or experience? And if experience means anything, why not anyone's experience but your own?!

I have FOR SURE experienced the pumps not priming the fuel system themselves like their supposed to on 3 Packard pumps, recently, and a handful of other wore out mechanical pump automobiles that would run fine if started every couple days to keep everything from evaporating or drying out or whatever happens that they don't fire right back up from lack of fuel in the carb/pump.

But according to Fred, i'm a hillbilly and those things simply didn't happen because HE didn't see them.

He emailed me AFTER I found a spun rod bearing to tell me if i had read the manual, i would have surely found the issue soon rather than chasing my suspected lean running condition/spark knock but he wanted to let me learn on my own to listen to him. I told him pertly to stop messaging me asking me to make public apologies to him, specifically on the carb icing issue, and again with the i told you so bearing messages.

BUT YOU WE'RE WRONG FRED! The spun bearing made no noise, we have since chased it elsewhere in the block. How did you not see that with all your wisdom and foresight and piles of service manuals?

Could it be that Packard couldn't foresee EVERY possible scenario on 60 year old worn out cars that wouldn't be driven everyday in conditions and speeds much different than they planned on with fuels and oils not yet developed?!

I also won't buy anything anymore off of Kanter, 90% because of Fred's attitude, 5% because the website sucks for looking things up and comparing, and 5% because the shipping charges system is retarded and based in the 50s when you couldn't instaquote real shipping charges. Might as well have a map on the wall with thumb tacks in it and yarn tied between them showing shipping points.

Max Merrit and ebay get more of my business EVEN IF I HAVE TO PAY MORE or GO WITHOUT.

Posted on: 2011/8/16 12:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Mike (cortcomp), the single-handed alteration of the text commands my respect.

Attach file:

jpg  (3.57 KB)
757_4e4aaff162795.jpg 432X224 px

Posted on: 2011/8/16 12:39
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Cortcomp - thanks for deleting the offensive word.

Time to move on.

Posted on: 2011/8/16 13:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Gee willikers,

I hope poor IBUB can get his car started.

You know, it is possible to learn something from people you might never thought possible. I have had to deal with trouble makers at work whose only developed talent was sucking up to the boss and making trouble for me. And I mean real malicious trouble. Yet even some of these crazies had some little idea about something that worked.

Take this squirt can thing. One day I was rummaging around some shelves and came across a squirt oil can. I opened it and it contained gasoline. I never thought about that before, but it is very cost effective. The next time I had to start some motor that was sitting so long the carburetor was dry I grabbed the can and viola! It started right up and kept running. Without any spillage, staining, or fire hazard.

Another method I saw here was filling the carb bowl via the vent. That's neat too. But for really fast results I like this oil can thing. It was not my invention.

Now if IBUB can get his car started

Posted on: 2011/8/16 16:53
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved