Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
203 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 203

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Just got back from 1.5 hr drive in my 52
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
i just got back from an hour & one half drive in my packard. i have not had my car too long. today was the longest drive i have taken . Man , the car drove very well.
i am still learning every day. after the last drive i notiece the fuel tank had a small leak. i fixed that temporarily. time to take the tank off and recondition.
today i also fixed the dome light in the rear seat. so that is so cool to have that working.
funny thing though when driving the overdrive etc to me is confusing...... i never know if it is working. there is no feel .... and then to remember in or out. and the knob for overdrive on my car has very little movement. i have the ultramatic trans, and it must work very well because i do not feel the car shift. when i get up to say 50mph (give or take) i think the trans is going to shift into high gear , but nothing. today she really moved along great. no one on the road but me and i was aggresive and got her up to about 75mph. WOW that was fun. i also experimented with the passing gear and no trouble there either. MAN, I LOVE HAVING THIS CAR! i know, no caps. that was for emphasis. I also checked around today to get the radio reconditioned. so i have some leads there.
aloha, and have a great packard day!

Posted on: 2011/8/16 21:28
 Top  Print   

Re: Just got back from 1.5 hr drive in my 52
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Tim49 wrote:......funny thing though when driving the overdrive etc to me is confusing...... i never know if it is working. there is no feel .... and then to remember in or out. and the knob for overdrive on my car has very little movement. i have the ultramatic trans, and it must work very well because i do not feel the car shift. when i get up to say 50mph (give or take) i think the trans is going to shift into high gear , but nothing.......
Tim,

I'm confused too, that's a normal condition for me, but you say you have Overdrive AND Ultramatic? I thought Overdrive was only on cars equipped with manual transmission? You say your Packard has an overdrive knob. As that's the case, is it possible your Packard was converted from manual trans to Ultramatic and the overdrive knob was left in situ? And that's why you don't feel the shift into overdrive?

Posted on: 2011/8/17 15:27
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Congrats on your successful drive--aren't they great cars? I love driving mine.

Maybe you could shoot us a pic of this knob you are talking about.

With Ultramatic in "H" range, you should feel one shift somewhere between 18 and 50 depending on how hard you are accelerating. Your car doesn't actually use any gears in "H", just the torque converter. Somewhere in that speed range a clutch should engage that locks up the converter for efficiency. That engagement can be quite soft but when complete the car should feel like a stick shift car in high gear;ie the engine speed tracks exactly with the car speed and there is no engine running away sensation. That, and if you were going up a slight hill at say 40 and floored it, you should feel that clutch release and the engine speed increase.

Ultramatic and overdrive would be a very special and expensive aftermarket addition so we're all interested. If you ever have the car on a lift a picture of the bottom would tell the tale.

Posted on: 2011/8/18 5:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
ok so obviously i am confused and need to investigate and research. thank god i wrote this topic. see, a little knowledge, or lack there of(LOL), leeds to further investigation. so i will go out now and look. thanks.

Posted on: 2011/8/18 14:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rich Bishop
See User information
Perhaps it was an inoperable power antenna switch you were pulling?

Posted on: 2011/8/18 14:20
[color=0099FF]Respectfully,
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
ok so i re read my owners manual and shop manual. and now i know o/d is on cars with manual trans.
ok so now i feel lame. but that is ok. it is all part of the journey.
in the owners manual on the page where they talk about the light switch(p9) there is a pic of the switch. the switch i have in my car is directly beneath the light switch. in the picture on p 9 in the owners manual there is NO switch beneath the light switch.
in checking things out i found 1 wire loose, so i need to find what that is about. this switch has a push pull action.
btw it does not look like the switch on p 17 witch is the o/d knob.
a mystery for now . but i will go investigate some more.
thanks

Posted on: 2011/8/18 14:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
ok , this is what i think i have. the loose wire fits into a socket on the switch. and the wire goes into a group of wire that go up the steering columm. i think this knob is for a windshield washer, which i do not have. next to the battery box in the engine compartment there are four holes. so maybe this car had a washer at one time. now i shoould go see if there is a spot for the washer tubing......
what do u guys think????
the push action of the knob to me fits what would be needed for a washer unit.......

Posted on: 2011/8/18 15:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
ok, so i stuck my big head under the dash again w/ a flashlight and there is a place for washer tubing under the dash where the pullies are for the wipers. I think this switch is for a wiper washer unit. any other opinions????

Posted on: 2011/8/18 15:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Do you have the glass water jar and vacuum water pump portion on the L fender? If it was an electric switch for washers then aftermarket or a 54 unit and that one only needed a pushbutton. Your year would have been controlled by the wiper on/off knob by turning it in the direction opposite that needed to turn on wipers. After water filled pump, you then turned the knob the regular way to squirt and start wipers. Can you trace the loose wire anywhere?

Posted on: 2011/8/18 15:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
I have no water bottle, just four holes in the fender close to the battery. the loose wire does fit into the switch and it follows up the steering colum. the wiper switch is on the sterring colum. turning it in one direction turns wipers on and the other off.

Posted on: 2011/8/18 15:47
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved