Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
234 user(s) are online (167 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 233

CCR, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 12 »

Re: GM 4L60E Transmission Adapted for 1955 Packard 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
KevinAZ:
ok. So u've got a good transmission, IIRC Craig overhauled the engine so u have one the best engines AND with Olds pump. U ought to get 100K miles of trouble free operation at least. Mite need a little carb work every 40K miles or points or other minor regular maintenace but overall it looks like the optimal set up.

It will be interesting to see what kind of gas mileage it runs on open hiway at 60-80 mph on long hauls.

What is the rear axle ratio???

Posted on: 2011/9/16 21:29
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'd think some would be interested in knowing if more than two conversions will be done.

Posted on: 2011/9/16 21:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
As to whether or not more conversions will be done or not; that will depend upon how many people actually contact Art Butler and work out an agreement with him. He is a long time member of Packard's of Arizona (Packard's International) and easy to find.

Posted on: 2011/9/17 17:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
I put 100 high elevation miles on the Packard 400 today in the White Mountains of Arizona. No issues with the transmission performing. I also at one point got her up to 75-80 MPH (fastest I've ever driven in her) passing another car up a long grade. Wow is all I can say.

Posted on: 2011/9/22 19:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It would be nice if Art would come on the forum or authorize someone else to speak for him and say whether he was anticipating doing more or if he plans a kit or just what the future plans would be. Since you know him, maybe you could make the suggestion.

The Chrysler kit and satisfaction is somewhat hit and miss for whatever reasons, and I suspect even those needed units are getting hard to find. The only other current GM option I know of for the V8 is geared more to the Studebaker guys. The place with the current S8 adapter is one of those maybe things--and frankly, I think yours looks more thought out since it didn't need a starter change.

If it works out long term as well as it seems to be starting, then there probably would be a few takers-- If a way could be found to incorporate the electric shift, then lots more possibly would be interested.

Posted on: 2011/9/22 19:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I know one of the local PI guys was a OverDrive Chrysler Tranny bolted to the back of his '54 Carribean motor. He used the 2nd Gen 727 adapter from Sierra Groove Packards. I guess the first gen kit had fixed locating pins, for the adapter ring, and then new kit has eccentric locating pins so you dial in exact alignment. I guess true alignment is what caused so many problems with the first gen 727 adapters.

I don't know the model number of that tranny, but its the OD version of the 727. But he did say the X-brace had to be trimmed a bit for clearance.

So just another option for people looking.

Posted on: 2011/9/22 19:40
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I can only imagine that this makes the vehicle a whole new car, with fuel economy AND performance, while maintaining a stock look. All i can say is go for it! It's what these cars needed when they were new

Posted on: 2011/9/22 19:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I have little or no experience with the japanese or other POPULAR NON-US produced automatics. But i still wonder if there is some automatic from a foreign large RWD SUV that is fairly common place that mite make a good candidate for a conversion.

Posted on: 2011/9/22 23:26
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren J. Erickson
See User information
To Bozonono:

This might fit the bill for the straight eight.

http://www.transmissionadapters.com/Packard%20to%20Chev%20adapter%20kit.htm

Posted on: 2011/9/23 8:30
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bozonono
See User information
Thank you for the information. I really appreciate it.

John

Posted on: 2011/9/23 9:17
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 12 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved