Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 164

happy, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Ultramatic will not let go when stopping - 1950
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
Well I put 6qts of trickshift in it and it is still stalling. Good news is I am getting real good at hitting neutral at 11mph. Your right about it turning into
"mr toads wild ride" if you put the car in drive before it completely stops.
Going to keep running it with the trickshift for a little while to see if it clears it up although I never was a big believer in a can of fixit.
Is it involved taking the governor out ? Never did one and haven't had time to review the links above. Any hints and/or suggestions about doing this ?

Thanks
OTG

Posted on: 2011/9/26 14:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
When you get under and look on the side of the case, you can't miss the governor cover.

If clean fluid didn't help within a few stops and starts, i'd think ross was right on with dirt in the governor.

Your car idles in neutral and park at the right rpm right? Idle not turned up? Have you ever driven the car and not had it stick? If so, then that'd kind of rule out any major linkage misadjustment.

Also, pay attention to the speed at when the converter locks up. That would rule out tv linkage adjustments also. Just food for thought, you're likely just going to be servicing the governor.

Posted on: 2011/9/26 15:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Had a similar problem years back, it's an extremely simple job to remove the governor - just crawl under, remove it, clean it, and let us know. If nothing else, you've eliminated one possible cause.

Posted on: 2011/9/26 15:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
Well I put 6qts of trickshift in it and it is still stalling.

Of course nothing happened; it takes time for chemicals to work on deposits - if that's the problem.

Governor sounds like the next logical step. Again, there's no published instructions for removing the governor, but if you take a look at the parts book, you should be able to get a good idea of where it's at. However, you better review that article on cleaning.

Ancient Chinese philospher, Confucius, say, "In all things, success depends upon previous preparation, and without such preparation there is sure to be failure." (I saw that on The Amazing Race, last night.)

The idea is to progress through a course of diagnosis and repair that begins with the easiest things to try, first, then move through steps which are progressivley more involved - yet, in hopes of avoiding a full teardown, if possible.

Posted on: 2011/9/26 16:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Gee Whiz:

I really like the governor sticking explanation.

It's also the first item they list.

Buried in the text is this "if the low speed governor is sticking because of dirt, wash it out...".

Here's the wierd part: If DD shift valve is controlled by rear pump pressure what is holding pressure inside the governor circuit when rear pump pressure drops to zero (dead stop)?

I suspect there is another symptom of a sticking governor that needs to be listed like early shifting into direct drive during moderate throttle.

Posted on: 2011/9/26 18:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Yes, Tim, that is exactly what they do.

Posted on: 2011/9/27 3:46
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
QUOTE "Your car idles in neutral and park at the right rpm right? Idle not turned up? Have you ever driven the car and not had it stick? If so, then that'd kind of rule out any major linkage misadjustment.

Also, pay attention to the speed at when the converter locks up. That would rule out tv linkage adjustments also. Just food for thought, you're likely just going to be servicing the governor. ""

The idle is good and yes it was shifting great. I think it locks up around 38mph. This is where it was originally set and it hasn't changed.

Do I have to keep stalling it to get the trickshift into the valve ? Is it good enough to flip it into neutral just before stalling ?

Thanks again
OTG

Posted on: 2011/9/27 10:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
38 mph is really high for lock-up unless you're giving it quite a bit of throttle at that point. At very light throttle, like accelerating slowly down a residential street, lock-up should be around 25 mph, give or take.

Posted on: 2011/9/27 10:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
+1 on the 25mph.

If you added the trickshift, you're done, no need to work it in or anything. it mixes in with the fluid and you're good to go.

Clean the governor, and if that doesn't fix it, start looking at adjusting your tv linkage or other more advanced diag to see why it's shifting so late. Ross has a quick and dirty way to do it, about setting idle and loosen the adjustment at the tranny and turn it one way then a smidge back or something, i used it on mine and it worked great.

Even pedal to the floor, mine locks up at about 30mph, 35mph at the very latest if i'm on it. About 25ish when leisurely driving is normal for me.

Posted on: 2011/9/27 11:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Pedal to the floor, lock-up should be about 55 mph, give or take, about the same as the maximum speed at which you can experience "kick-down" back into converter from DD.

In a 55/56, if you can't achieve this perhaps your accelerator pedal "stroke" is not correct. The very last version of the linkage adjustment that I'm aware of gave a reference to firewall dimension to first establish the accelerator pedal position. This was published in 1957 or later; I'll post if I already have it scanned.

Attach file:

jpg  (144.12 KB)
177_4e81f5dca0dfe.jpg 750X1037 px

Posted on: 2011/9/27 11:08
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved