Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
73 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 73

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Two National Packard Clubs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...The one that gets me most is the " I don't belong to any club because they're too much trouble" group...

I don't belong to any club because they're too much trouble.

Posted on: 2011/10/6 11:59
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
And folks wonder why "The Greying of the Hobby" is happening. People are not content to get together once a month, or write a letter and wait 3 weeks for a reponse to a question. It's a different world now. People are instantly connected and most younger folks know no other way. So if you want to bring younger folks into the hobby you have to adopt the technologies and methods of communication they use on a daily basis and expect.

Also these technologies I think are a must to support an orphaned make like Packard where folks that own them are spread out and there may not be another owner within 20 miles of you. It's not like working on a Tri-Five chevy where there are 100s of forums, many different local car clubs, probably another owner within a 10 min drive, and multiple vendors making just about every reproduction part.

Just my $.02

Posted on: 2011/10/6 12:04
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As an older geezer, I think there are lots of things to consider on the subject. I still belong to a couple of clubs & support them but am not the social type and usually won't go to meetings--even if there were any locally--but I don't consider them too much trouble. Some however, are becoming priced out of their target group with little bang for lots of buck.

Most younger people have no knowledge or feeling for a car that was history 20 or 30 years before they existed & being a somewhat stodgy orphan car that never got much press even when new doesn't help. As one of the almost defunct generation though, my hat is off to those younger members who are interested in Packards. Socially, I think it would be easier on them to stick with most of their peers in the Chevy or Honda crowd.

As to modern technology, the way I look at Facebook is in sync with Betty White--what a waste of time. But for those that enjoy such, then who am I to fight or vote against it.

The two modern technologies I will adhere to is email and ecommerce. In this age, anyone who does not use at least email loses as far as I am concerned. I won't do business with vendors who insist on a phone call or have a site with lots of items that all say "inquire" with only a phone number. There are so many ways for vendors to have a decent site now that even if it costs a little more for the convenience, unless there are absolutely no other options I rarely buy from those who have no form of online catalog and ecommerce.

Posted on: 2011/10/6 12:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Your .02 cents is right on the money. I see the same greying happening in the train collecting field. Believe it or not, at one time I was one of the youngest train collectors in the field. The price of old rare toys has escalated beyond the ability of young family men to pay the going prices. In many cases it has gone beyond my ability to pay. Younger folks never had a train under the tree and parents who added on to their collection. I used to spend hours devouring a catalog trying to determine how much I could ask for and what Mom could afford. I doubt any kids do that anymore - it's mostly a hobby for grownups and that's sad.
But postwar Packards are a good buy and that may save them and introduce younger blood into this area of ownership. We can hope.

Posted on: 2011/10/6 13:46
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Randy, I agree Postwar Packard models (especially 51-54s) are probably have the most best value right now for someone looking to get into one cheap. You can drive them and keep up with modern traffic. Most of the tune-up and brake parts are still available at NAPA, and there are plenty of part cars out there for scavenging, and the entry price is pretty modest.

Most of the younger guys are not afraid to work on them as long as they can get the information and support to do so. Remember young guys getting into the hobby are going to have young children who will grow up with them and hopefully start a new generation of Packard enthusiasts who have fond memories of driving around in dads old car.

I believe there was a generation gap that has happened in that lineage in the recent past. Hopefully the web is the chance to connect people interested in these cars that may other wise quickly become disinterested because of the lack of local information or support, and as such moved on to the ubiquitous Chevy, Ford or Import, and never to look back.

Posted on: 2011/10/6 17:43
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:

Most of the younger guys are not afraid to work on them as long as they can get the information and support to do so. Remember young guys getting into the hobby are going to have young children who will grow up with them and hopefully start a new generation of Packard enthusiasts who have fond memories of driving around in dads old car.

I believe there was a generation gap that has happened in that lineage in the recent past. Hopefully the web is the chance to connect people interested in these cars that may other wise quickly become disinterested because of the lack of local information or support, and as such moved on to the ubiquitous Chevy, Ford or Import, and never to look back.

In all the different venues that I have shown my 56 Packard Executive, I have noted a distinctive interest by young people, mostly those in their teens. It's almost a hunger for mechanical knowledge. I would hope that I am offering an alternative to the on-line gaming and other fruitless electronic endeavors. I plan on continuing to show and explain the wonders of my Packard to as many who will listen.

Posted on: 2011/10/7 8:33
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved