Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
241 user(s) are online (158 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 240

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

disconnect switch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I remember discussions both here and AACA with opinions on the proper location to connect a safety disconnect switch. Ground side being preferred by most which would seem to make the most sense.

Here is an instruction I found interesting. This switch company seems to think the other way is proper so apparently disagreement even among manufacturers. This way would make it a lot easier to keep a clock running by just running a single feed wire to the clock but I'll stick with the ground side since I already bought the materials.

Made a mount for a typical manual turn lever heavy duty switch type in an accessible location as has been recommended by many but----- am having second thoughts on the switch and my mount location. Before making anything final, am now curious what and where others with V8 cars have done aside from the battery post type.

Attach file:

jpg  (22.75 KB)
209_4e90735b8c1ec.jpg 600X406 px

Posted on: 2011/10/8 11:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: disconnect switch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Your point about the clock is well taken. You have the A/C to contend with, but it would be nice to be able to turn the switch off from inside the car. A small rod with a universal on it should be able to be mounted parallel to the emergency brake. Then by turning a knob attached to the rod you could turn off a switch mounted under the hood. Perhaps adjacent to all the relays associated with the PB system.

Posted on: 2011/10/8 12:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
You do not want the clock running all the time for extended times anyway. If the battery gets low, the points in the clock won't open and will stick together, damaging them, or the solder joint between them and the windings, and the short can generate heat and melt nearby vulnerable components inside the clock (had a later one that had plastic gears where a gear melted and the plastic holding assembly melted. Believe the Packard clocks are all metal.)

Posted on: 2011/10/8 12:47
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Quote:
You do not want the clock running all the time for extended times anyway. If the battery gets low

Agree with this. Also to me it doesn't make much since to have something running and wearing itself out when it's not needed.

Electrically as far as the switch goes either side of the battery if fine.

Posted on: 2011/10/8 13:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for the comments. Have a quartz clock conversion so hadn't really given much thought to the problem you brought up with low battery & turning the old points style off but very valid. At any rate, I had already decided to do the ground interrupt.

As to location, on a V8 (and from pictures maybe 51-4 as well) Randy's suggestion is brilliant. Not even as much work as he mentioned because it won't have to mount far away and need a bracket. There is already a proper sized hole in the firewall (3/4 needed for this switch) in the perfect location. On my car the hole is unused but on most cars which have the front antenna, it's used for the lead in wire. Should be simple enough to re-route that lead in to an extra hole in one of the wiring grommets for those that might be interested in adding a switch.

Not sure yet whether it will need an extension to bring the knob forward to mount under dash per suggestion. The stem of switch may be long enough to clear the firewall carpet but haven't got my new carpet yet to test--That bending down to actuate may be an issue for those that don't bend well so an extension might be nice and very easy. A straight 5/16 rod about 14" long will mate nicely to an underdash bracket. Jegs even sells a kit for a push pull switch that might work.

Only downside I see at the moment is it will require longer cables--whichever side of battery you choose to install it in. I had already bought new cables so will have to get a new ground cable or strap and relocate the attachment point on engine to it's corresponding point at the rear of head.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.16 KB)
209_4e90ac77a8889.jpg 526X451 px

Posted on: 2011/10/8 15:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
For what it is worth, I mounted a Cole Hersee battery cut-off switch on the radiator frame on the driver side near the horn relay. I switched the ground side. I have to open the hood to work the switch, but it is in the front and up high so easy access. Ability to work the switch from inside the car is an interesting idea. Mounting it on the firewall would probably mean switching the hot side.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2011/10/8 16:48
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
What! "Randy's suggestion is brilliant."
Did you hear that Dave??

Posted on: 2011/10/8 22:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"Ground side being preferred by most which would seem to make the most sense.
..... This switch company seems to think the other way is proper...."

THat's because the sw. company understands the real world as opposed to theory. OFten the ground post of the battery is very near the structure of the car while the power side of the battery is furthest away (possible exception is battery hold-down bracket). We do not have that situation with the V8 Packards. Battery position in TO20 Ferguson, 89 Caprice, Indian among a few others are such that the ground post is very near structure of car and not real easy to mount sitches to. Or at least not as easy as the feed post.

The remote interior sw. control is a good idea for those with pusher pumps installed or perhaps remote installed batteries. For cars with no pusher pump then the hood will have to be raised anyway to manually prime the carb or check for animal inhabitants or any other possibilities that mite happen during long lay-up periods of more than a week or two.

Bottom line: Mount disconnect sw. to the most convenient or easiest access post. If there is no convenience or access issue then mount to the ground post. Also watch for hood clearence and battery hold-down clearence.

Posted on: 2011/10/9 8:12
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The simple thumb wheel type disconnect mite better than the switch type especialy if mounted directly to post of battery DUE TO CORROSION. A lot easier to clean the thumb wheel type than to disassemble a switch for cleaning. I prefer the simple thumb wheel type. CHeap, easy to clean, easy to use, compact, easy to see from across the car fender or shop that it is disconnected with out standing rite over it to look at a sw. position. It's simple. It's a disconnect.

Posted on: 2011/10/9 8:28
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
You can prevent corrosion at the battery terminal and switch by applying a thin coat of vaseline with a (clean) acid brush.

Posted on: 2011/10/9 9:06
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved