Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
240 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 239

Phil Eaton, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Flapper Valve Adjustment for Ventilation System
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
I have the optional cabin heater on my 1954 Packard Clipper Super. When I adjust the control levers on my dashboard so as to distribute heat to the cabin, the right diverter valve under the dash does not shut completely tight to force the incoming air up into the heater box. I have attempted adjusting the Bowman cable that runs from the dash control lever to the right (driver's right) diverter valve but it's pretty tough to do after the cable has been crimped and curled around the little lever pin that controls the valve. Is there an easier way/any suggestions?
I suppose I could tape the right diverter valve closed for winter running and then untape it for the warmer months.

Posted on: 2011/10/14 4:06
 Top  Print   

Re: Flapper Valve Adjustment for Ventilation System
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You should be able to move the entire cable at one end or the other--depending on which side has the most room.

Move the lever to the heat or off position and then loosen the screw holding the cable clamp at the flapper end. Slide the entire cable in the clamp until the flapper is totally in position and retighten. It might take a try or two to check and move the lever again if it didn't go to stop the first time. If there is not enough room to move cable without running the housing out of the clamp, loosen the other end and slide the housing slightly on the wire to provide a bit more area. If doing that, be careful not to restrict the approx 1 1/2 inch of total travel.

If that adjustment looks OK, also look at the flapper rubber. Sometimes old rubber cracks & breaks off or takes a set & warps so air passes. The rubber piece can be replaced either with newly made ones from Steele or just plain sheet rubber cut to pattern.

EDIT: I don't remember if your model Clipper has the two 51-3 dual function levers or the four 54-6 separate function levers----While there is a difference in lever mechanisms, a procedure is given for adjusting the 51 dual function lever setup. The basics & explanation for some low heat problems are applicable to later ones as well.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL25NO2.pdf

Posted on: 2011/10/14 8:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I found the flapper rubber on my '54 was petrified and pieces of it had broken off. One of the PI Chapters sells the replacement flapper rubber as well. I think I have pictures on my blog of me replacing the rubber in mine. It makes a world of difference when they seal correctly.

Just a note this will take a couple of hours to replace as you have to remove the sections of ducting where the flappers are located, and then remove the flappers themselves, and then remove all the staples that hold the two halves of each flapper together.

I was able to careful pry up the legs of all the staples so I could pull them out and reuse them. I always have this vision of some guy at the factory with a huge comical oversized Swingline stapler assembling these back in the day.

Posted on: 2011/10/14 10:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
I always have this vision of some guy at the factory with a huge comical oversized Swingline stapler assembling these back in the day.

Actually, you're probably not that far off with such a vision.

Electric-powered staplers have long been available and still used for many purposes: binding books and catalogs, securing cardstock headers to poly-bagged items for retail display, etc. Basically, the work is supported by a "anvil", and the stapler head is activated by either the work as it contacts a pressure switch or the operator by a foot pedal switch.

The simpler units are loaded with staples just like a desktop stpale, but with heavy-duty staples. More complicated, automated systems feed straight wire off a spool to create a staple on the fly.

Posted on: 2011/10/14 12:12
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved