Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
71 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 70

R H, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1157 Light Bulb
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Posted this question on the PAC site too.

Is the 1157 bulb an appropriate replacement for the 1034 bulb? They both are dual filament and have offset bayonet bases, so will fit in the same socket. Is there a CP difference? I want to put new front parking light-turn signal bulbs in my 55 Clipper, and could not find a #1034 in the bulb stock at the parts store. Thanks.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2011/10/24 14:07
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: 1157 Light Bulb
Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
JW,

I had replaced my parking lights on my 56 Executive with 1157A (orange colored) bulbs and they have worked for over a year now.

I am also planing on moving the front parking lights wire attached to the lights switch to the tail light connection, so the front parking lights will stay on when the headlights are on (a more modern look).

Posted on: 2011/10/24 14:15
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I believe the 1157 is just a higher candle watt version of the 1034. Same socket layout.

Posted on: 2011/10/24 14:22
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
From eHow.com:

Difference Between 1034 & 1157 Car Bulbs

By David Sandoval, eHow Contributor updated January 16, 2011

Depending upon your driving habits, one of these bulbs likley suits your needs better than the other.

Automotive lamps burn out after a long period of use. Often, more than one bulb can serve as a replacement part for nearly any automotive lamp. For example, an 1157 automotive lamp is electrically compatible with a 1034 lamp. However, some notable differences between the two lamps may make one better than the other for your specific situation.

Primary Filament Operation at 12.8 Volts
The primary filament is used for normal marker-lamp (the rear light that comes on when you turn on your headlights) operation. The 1157 lamp can sustain 2.10 amps at 12.8 volts, and will last an average of 1,200 hours. The 1034 lamp can handle 1.80 amps at this voltage, and will last an average of 200 hours.

Secondary Filament Operation at 14 Volts
The secondary filament is used for turn signal operations. The 1157 lamp can sustain 590 milliamps of electrical current at 14 volts, and lasts an average of 3,000 hours. The 1034 lamp lasts an average of 5,000 hours under these conditions.

Considerations When Choosing Which to Install
Since both lamps are used as combination turn-signal and marker lamps, choose the lamp that suits your needs best. If you do a lot of daytime driving and require a long-lasting signal lamp, install the 1034 lamp. If you do a lot of nighttime driving, and do not need to use your turn signals often, choose the 1157 lamp.

Read more: Difference Between 1034 & 1157 Car Bulbs | eHow.comhttp://www.ehow.com/facts_7793624_difference-1034-1157-car-bulbs.html#ixzz1bjFcOvbC

Posted on: 2011/10/24 14:25
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The need to know is CANDLEPOWER. 1034 about 32 CP. 1157 about 22 cp. ut good luck finding Cp ratings on any packageing or advertising. Everything now is Watts and amps or some bullshit spec which means nothing. However IIRC there is a conversion from watts to CP. Bottom line we want to know HOW BRITE it is!!! Amps volts and watts and ohms can be checked with a meter. How does one determine brightness????? IT's CANDLE Power!!

Posted on: 2011/10/24 15:53
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Here:

http://www.taillightking.com/light_bulbs.htm

I found this rather quickly using google. It give CANDLE POWER ratings. We're not rewireing the car or prototyping. All we want to do is determine brightness needed or desired. The watch word is CANDLE POWER.

Posted on: 2011/10/24 15:57
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
There is a 1034A that should fit our 55 and 56's. It is AMBER. That's what i'm converting to. UNless someone can come up with a BRIGHTER bulb that won't melt the plastic lens.

1034 is OEM.

Posted on: 2011/10/24 16:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I have several 1034 bulbs and will keep my eyes open to buy more. I like the higher candle power.

Posted on: 2011/10/24 18:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
56 uses 1034 in front Park/signal. Had to replace one. Bought NEW in PACKAGE 1034 bulbs at AAP. Labeled 1034 on base of bulb as well as on sealed package. Perfect FIT. BUT ONly about 60% as bright as otherside NOT replaced.

Again, a bad case of loss of standards in the replacement auto parts industry. I have old stock 1157's. Same brightness as the NEW 1034's i bought recently. More wasted time, money and effort.

Aanyone tried any of the LEDS for the 56 park/signal fronts???

Posted on: 2011/11/12 21:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Aanyone tried any of the LEDS for the 56 park/signal fronts???

I haven't but there is one thing to check out before buying them. Since it is a turn signal, the flasher may have to be changed to electronic (if there is one that fits) or a resistor added because the LED bulb resistance is different enough the original flasher may not work. Superbright has a nice writeup on the pros and cons, recommendations & a decent selection of bulbs.

Posted on: 2011/11/12 22:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved