Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

trunk for a 51 200
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Can anyone provide some photos of an original or restored trunk for a 51 200? I'm interested in the sides and floorboard and how they were treated, i.e. flocked, carpeted, rubber etc. Also, any photos of an original jack and how it fit in the trunk. thanks

Posted on: 2011/11/11 23:25
 Top  Print   

Re: trunk for a 51 200
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
David's they were simply flocked. No carpet or sideboard or anytime. Glue sprayed down over the floors boards and wheel bumps, and then flock applied.

Perhaps Ross can provide some info on how he reproduces the look and texture.

No flocking on the insides of the quarter panels themselves.

Posted on: 2011/11/12 2:25
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
thanks - I'll be interested in finding out how the flocking is applied, and where you get the material. Other than Home Depot for the Christmas tree version...

Posted on: 2011/11/12 14:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Pretty much the entire inside of the trunk was flocked with the exception of the underside of the trunk lid and down into the spare tire well. Sides, wheel wells. up over the hump,the partition to the back seat, and even up onto the hinges and anywhere else the adhesive landed. The floor got a thin, brown cardboard-like cover, that in some instances seemed to be flocked as well.

You can buy the grey/brown flock mix from the Donjer Company, and also the adhesive. Don't buy their flock sprayer. Do one area at a time by brushing on a heavy coat of adhesive and throwing handfuls of flock through the revolving blades of an electric table fan--preferably an old one without much guarding. Sweep up the excess and repeat. At the best it is not a durable finish. Don't do it on a hot day or the glue will set before you get the flock on it.

The jack was in a cardboard box that presumably sat up on the hump. Don Reedy of Mid-Atlantic Packards has those boxes.

Posted on: 2011/11/12 21:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Ross-thanks for the lead! I see that they have a black, gray, and several shades of brown that are probably appropriate. My car is black, so I'm thinking either the black or gray. Any comments out there from those of you who have been judges? I'm assuming that you used the nylon fibers, as they are supposed to be more durable.

On the cardboard flooring, is it similar to the stuff that the upholstery guys use for the seat divider/door panels?

Posted on: 2011/11/13 14:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't know if they used various trunk colors for different cars & years or not. Others can better answer if one color fits all. Thanks to the courtesy of Stephen, here is a sample of original trunk flocking from his 53. This one appears mostly brown with a smattering of strands of gray mixed in. I would guess maybe a 90-10 mix. With your black car, maybe less brown and some black & gray instead. Much longer and courser fibers than the Donjer flock. I've been looking at various places but it would appear Donjer's nylon is about as close as it gets today.

The cardboard I am familiar with in 56 trunks is about the same thickness as the glove box -- around .070 or, I believe referred to as doubleweight. I am wondering if your glove box drawer liner might be a similar material to what they used in your trunk as well.

Attach file:

jpg  (80.31 KB)
209_4ec023430550c.jpg 1280X727 px

Posted on: 2011/11/13 15:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
A friends '51 200 Deluxe which was originally painted Packard Blue has the remains of the flocking in the trunk. It appears to be rather short fibers in a medium grey.

Posted on: 2011/11/13 18:18
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
thanks for the feedback guys. I also have a 39 120 - wonder if the treatment was the same for that trunk?

Posted on: 2011/11/13 18:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

The jack was in a cardboard box that presumably sat up on the hump. Don Reedy of Mid-Atlantic Packards has those boxes.

I'd like to contact him for one. I looked at the Mid-Atlantic Packard website but couldn't find any contact info for him or listing for the boxes under Club Projects.

Do you have any direct contact info?

Posted on: 2011/11/13 18:48
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Don Reedy in MD, co-author of the book on Packard jacks and tools, sells the box. He's listed in the PAC membership directory.

PM me if you need a phone #.

Posted on: 2011/11/13 19:11
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved