Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 109

Todd W. White, RCJ56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

electrical system 1955
Just popping in
Just popping in

datsundoug
See User information
I just read that the 1955 (5588) Patrician was set up as a positive ground - is that correct? The 1956 shows as a negative ground. I don't have much experience with this but I am at a point where I want to crank the engine over. Can someone help me so I don't fry the wiring? Is the 1955 a positive ground? Thanks.

Posted on: 2011/11/17 19:06
 Top  Print   

Re: electrical system 1955
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, the 1955 models are 12-volt, positive ground.

Posted on: 2011/11/17 19:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just to ease your mind, a stock Packard won't be damaged if the battery is hooked up backwards. Lots of people have done it accidentally or had it done while being serviced because a mechanic didn't know.

The only thing you may notice would be the ammeter would read backwards -- if the car has one -- or generator may not charge. The generator charge issue is a mixed bag. Some have driven a lot with battery reversed and never noticed a problem, others have reported the no charge or suspected battery damage. Generally, once polarity is corrected, the worst is you would have to take 30 seconds to repolarize the generator. Some have even made the change to neg ground permanent and just swapped wires on the ammeter so as to take advantage of modern conveniences.

If you have a modern item in the car such as something plugged into the cigar lighter socket or a reproduction solid state radio vibrator or the converted to solid state torsion level compensator switch then an accidental swap might be a different story.

Posted on: 2011/11/17 19:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
The only thing you may notice would be the ammeter would read backwards -- if the car has one -- or generator may not charge.

When I first got my '55 Patrician, I was very careful to hook up the battery to Positive Ground. And as HH56 wrote, my Ammeter worked backwards. I think it was he who guided me through my self doubt re: Positive/Negative Ground. For some reason, I just couldn't grasp Positive Ground for a while. My car had the wiring switched behind the dash as I think a previous owner had an aftermarket sound system plus my Torsion Level system had the 1956 Compensator switch. Something you might want to check out. My 1951 had been switched to Negative Ground as well - something I rather think happened a lot over the years.

Posted on: 2011/11/17 20:27
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Jim, I had forgotten you were one with swapped wiring. As you mentioned, not a big deal.

Quote:
plus my Torsion Level system had the 1956 Compensator switch

The torsion level switch is also a mixed bag. The stock 56 switch is identical to the 55s electrically. The difference is in the wire terminals -- 55 had 3 screw terminals exposed to the elements and 56 has bullet type connectors enclosed under a weatherproof cover plus two additional tie points for the different type 56 limit switches. The 56 switch was substituted for 55 switches if one needed replacement after the 55 stock ran out. A short piece of wire loom was offered so as to be spliced onto the original 55 loom because of the different terminals.

The issue comes if the switch has been replaced with one of the reworked switches sold by one of the regions. The bimetal time delay circuit on those has been replaced by a solid state timer. If the solid state components are polarity protected, no problem. If not, then smoke is let out. I haven't seen one of the replacements and don't know if it is protected or externally identifiable.

Posted on: 2011/11/17 20:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Here's a little tidbit to help people with positive ground.

The earth is supposedly a positive charged body. So negative ground is a misnomer. Additionally, negative charges have extra electrons which are attracted to positive earth, so a positive grounded vehicle would have less parasitic drain because the negative side of the battery is isolated from earth.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2011/11/17 21:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Quote:

Tim Cole wrote:

The earth is supposedly a positive charged body. So negative ground is a misnomer. Additionally, negative charges have extra electrons which are attracted to positive earth, so a positive grounded vehicle would have less parasitic drain because the negative side of the battery is isolated from earth.

Hope this helps.

Tim,
Are you positive about that

Posted on: 2011/11/17 22:12
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Quote:

bhappy wrote:
Quote:

Tim Cole wrote:

Hope this helps.

Tim,
Are you positive about that

Don't be so negative about things :)

Posted on: 2011/11/18 6:51
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
OK, it seems this forum is getting a bit charged...

Posted on: 2011/11/18 7:47
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Both ample and revolting. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhmmmmm.

Posted on: 2011/11/18 8:41
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved