Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
196 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 196

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

50 windshield wiper arms and blades
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
Can anyone tell me where I can get new wiper arms and blades for my '50 ? I purchased a set that were original, authentic and expensive, however they only clear the windshield at the very ends of the blades. What I am looking for is a set that is NOT "original and authentic" but functional.

Found one set but they cost over $100 which isn't going to happen. Any input would be most appreciated.

Thank you
OTG

Posted on: 2011/11/23 7:12
 Top  Print   

Re: 50 windshield wiper arms and blades
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
NAPA sells replacement blades. I have gotten ones for my 51 there. According to their website, this also fits a 50 model.
Here is what the website has: Wiper Blade - Winter - Front
Part Number: WIP 601157
Product Line: NAPA Windshield Products

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2011/11/23 9:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I put ANCO (p/n 20-12) wiper blades on my '50. These are available from O'Reilly Car Parts and sell for around $6.69 ea. These are 12 inch blades. That should be all you need assuming that the arms and springs are providing enough pressure against the glass to hold them down.

Note: They don't look original, the originals were a bright, shiny metal... these are a dull, flat finish. I kept the originals for show.

Posted on: 2011/11/23 10:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's gotten more difficult to get correct (polished stainless. not mat or brushed) RB-12 Trico blades as used on our 55/56 Packards as we are competing with the Corvette crowd for the dwindling NOS supply, and they outnumber us!

Thus many of us have turned to Bob Crane who fits new rubber and otherwise rebuilds/repairs your old RB-12 blades. He also has quite an assortment of other blades, arms, etc.

He's local here and we usually purchase from him at car shows, but if you are not satisfied with what you find elsewhere, you might try him:

Bob Crane
908-272-7596

Posted on: 2011/11/23 10:49
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
Anyone have any info on the wiper arms ?
Thanks
OTG

Posted on: 2011/11/23 11:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Possibly the same source just mentioned (Bob Crane) and of course Ficken Wiper Service.

Posted on: 2011/11/23 12:10
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
Has anyone tried replacing the piece on the wiper where the arm attaches and using OTC wiper arms?

OTG

Posted on: 2011/11/23 13:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you mean the piece extending thru the cowl, I don't recall hearing of anyone trying. I think it might be easier said than done since everything is so integrated with cable lengths and exit angles..

I am thinking the size of that serrated piece the arm fits onto might be smaller than newer or current arms though. Wonder if there is a possibility of getting a modern serrated piece from the junkyard & having it reworked or having a sleeve or similar machined to fit the Packard diameter on the inside and the different arm diameter on the outside. If so that might be an option if a solid attachment method could be ensured. Are the modern arms short enough would be another question. Most windshields today are so much bigger.

Posted on: 2011/11/23 13:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There used to be all manner of little items, knurled slip over sleeves to enlarge diameters, a huge variety of adapters to adapt arm ends to different wiper blade configurations, etc. You still see stuff like this at the better auto flea markets (Hershey & Macungie for sure) but if I was looking for something specific, I'd try Ficken. But then again it's probably a whole lot easier just to buy the correct parts in the first place.

Posted on: 2011/11/23 13:47
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
Your probably right. Would probably quickly become more trouble than its worth. Sent an email to Ficken. Probably hear back next week. Interested in what he has to say.

Funny that shop is around the corner from where my wife
was raised. Small world.

Thanks
OTG

Posted on: 2011/11/24 13:50
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved