Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
198 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 198

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Correct Interior Gloss Level 22nd/23rd Series Custom
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I recently came across this photo on eBay and I am now wondering how high a gloss finish the original Custom bathtubs had on the pearwood door inserts. My 23rd series door inserts are in good shape but are not high gloss while my 22nd series is going to need complete refinishing.

I think the high gloss in the picture looks really nice but was wondering if anyone knows for sure what level of gloss came from the factory.

Attach file:

jpg  (17.24 KB)
188_4ecfbee2b2d14.jpg 501X384 px

Posted on: 2011/11/25 11:15
 Top  Print   

Re: Correct Interior Gloss Level 22nd/23rd Series Custom
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Seems awfully glossy but it is a custom after all. Guess it's conceivable Packard would pull out the stops. The few I remember from shows, didn't seem near that noticeable. I know it's apples to oranges but just for kicks, this apparently NOS but slightly shelfworn frame from a lowly standard 8 is nowhere near as glossy in comparison.

Attach file:

jpg  (12.87 KB)
209_4ecfcdb933d3d.jpg 640X315 px

Posted on: 2011/11/25 12:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Going back into the 60s and 70s I had two Custom 8s, a 23rd series that was in funeral service and a 22nd series bought from the son of the original owner. Neither showed any signs of anything other than good care of the original features. The pearwood laminate was lacquer covered (which was starting to peel here and there) and both were glossy, though certainly not to the degree shown in that photo.

I've got some pictures of an AACA HPOF 22nd series Custom 2252, this car is extremely well preserved and I'll enclose one of many photos I took of the interior for Mr. Neal's upcoming book. Many more interior photos if you're interested.

Before refinishing yours, you also might wait for Mr. Neal's book and see if any photos or commentary there are useful.

Attach file:

jpg  (115.39 KB)
177_4ecfd07a55009.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/11/25 12:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Thanks Howard and Dave. My '50 looks more like the 22nd series example Dave posted. As Dave suggests, I guess I will wait till my Robert Neal book arrives next month before I make any final decisions. I just thought it didn't look quite right (although very nice).

Posted on: 2011/11/25 12:53
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved