Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
194 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 194

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Manifold gaskets
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken Sadler
See User information
I've currently got the manifold off my 745 for refurbishment and I'm thinking I should replace the gaskets before re-fitting.

Max Merritt lists 2 different types - 98134 and 98135 but gives no description so I'm not sure which one is right.

In order to avoid yet more trans-atlantic shipping, I could cut some new gaskets but I'm not sure which material to use. Clearly I need a high temperature type but can anyone recommend a specification?

Thanks

Posted on: 2011/12/4 13:21
1930 Deluxe 8 745 Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton
See me in the Registry
 Top  Print   

Re: Manifold gaskets
Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
The 98134 is for the standard 8 motor (3 3/16 x 5), 98135 is for the super 8 (3 1/2 x 5). (bore x stroke)

If your 745 has the original series engine, which is 3 1/2 x 5, the 98135 P/N will fit.

Posted on: 2011/12/4 19:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken Sadler
See User information
Thanks for the heads-up on that. Yes the motor is the correct one so the 98135 is the one to get.

But as an alternative, what spec of gasket would these be? If I were to cut my own?

Thanks

Posted on: 2011/12/5 12:41
See me in the Registry
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
OEM were steel sandwich with asbestos or other hi-temp material in between. Best to get them if you can, Olson's and Gasket City have had them in the past. If not, the modern replacement type of composite material seems to give good performance but make sure the mating surfaces are sufficiently flat, not uncommon to have the manfold surfaces surfaced (as a pair).

Posted on: 2011/12/5 13:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken Sadler
See User information
Thanks to both of you. Much appreciated.

I'll have a look for a good compressible material. As you say, Dave, mating of the surfaces is key especially as all 8 contact points are on the same, fixed plane. If the outlets were separate, like on a mordern sports exhaust manifold, there would be a bit of "give" in the unit and each gasket can be compressed separately. On the straight 8, if there is a gap on one branch it is difficult to overcome as it is rigidly connected to the others.

Well at least that makes sense to me!!!!

Posted on: 2011/12/5 15:44
See me in the Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

1940-120
See User information
Hello all I don't want to hijack the thread however I have a question for OD.I have a set of original gasket set for my 1940-120, and I was wondering what finish are they mine appear to have a black phosphate finish, and the one between the intake and exhaust appears to be plated. I got some blacking compound from Caswell. But i AM NOT SURE.

Thanks Fred D

Posted on: 2011/12/5 21:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi Fred: sorry, I really don't know. I'm not even sure I've seen an "original" Packard-label gasket set from that era. I've seen and used FelPro and Fitzgerald sets and seem to have seen both finishes (black oxide and bright) but don't recall if they were mixed in one set or not.

For appearances sake, I'd think just being consistent would be fine.

Posted on: 2011/12/5 21:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
I was working on some original exhaust gasket sets this morning and indeed they had both finishes on gaskets that I opened up from sealed sets. You have to remember they were servicing their cars, not nitpicking them for judging. My view is if it was what Packard made and sold it is correct as is.

Posted on: 2011/12/5 23:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I also opened 3 sets of sealed NOS gaskets recently - with surprising results. I now have several sets of 320 NORS sealed Victor sets....wonder whats in them!

Posted on: 2011/12/6 0:03
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved