Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 157

JD in KC, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Modern distributor for '38 Su8
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
BigKev Quote:
I though Eric used a Pontiac Distro because of the counter-clock-wise rotation needed to match Packards.

Olds oil pump rotates the same way as the Olds HEI. So, for the V-8s it's Olds.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/12/12 14:24
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

danh
See User information
To make the chevy distributer fit,the shaft had to be cut to length and a hole drilled to secure the packard drive end.The housing was cut to length to fit in the stock packard stand and the end machined out to receive the stock chevy bushing. It has its own oiler, and you can use the vacuum advance or the manuel spark advance.

Attach file:

jpg  (75.94 KB)
3038_4ee6a2310d99b.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (134.59 KB)
3038_4ee6a23eddfec.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/12/12 19:54
dan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information
I did a little studying on this. It looks like a good solution would be a standard points GM distributor or an after market with a pointless electronic module that is made for 6v positive ground. Trying to use an HEI and running it on 6v won't work.

A new distributor is about $100, the electronic trigger is $50 and I think I can do the machining for $50. But without the oiling, I think it might be worth the effort and $$ to put in sealed roller bearings.

Having an easily swappable unit might be nice for someone that's looking for that.

Posted on: 2011/12/12 20:52
1954 Clipper Super Touring Sedan -5462
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

occaswright
See User information
This was my first post, and the response has been great! I appreciate the expertise and the rationale for the responses. We'll give the Chevy unit a try, and let you know how it turns out. Thanks for not beating me up for experimenting a little with improved touring in mind. I'm committed to maintaining the originality of these cars, and everything we're doing is easily reversed for the judging. Thanks again.

Posted on: 2011/12/12 21:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Cap from an Autolite used on the 120 of the same era seems to work on my '39 that runs the same distributor as the '38 Super. About 20 bucks and seemingly available at NAPA.

Posted on: 2011/12/12 23:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote:
"Thanks for not beating me up for experimenting a little with improved touring in mind. I'm committed to maintaining the originality of these cars, and everything we're doing is easily reversed for the judging."

Welcome aboard Occasawright. Your statement above is exactly my philosophy too as well as a few others here at P'info.com. Over the years there has been several developements such as an Olds oil pump conversion for the Packard V8, GM automatic trans w/OD conversions, brake conversions among several other modifications of lesser effort. All of those mods were developed in view of various controversy surrounding OEM parts/price/avaialbility etc.

Keep us posted on your experiments. Looking forward to your continued participation here at P'info.com.

Long distance touring reliability,maintenance etc is the goal for many of us too.

Posted on: 2011/12/12 23:08
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day occaswright,
Like to add my to PackardInfo too. And a request, would the owner of the Packard you're restoring be interested in adding it to the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo or you doing it on his behalf if that's OK?

And a thought, seeing you're in Dayton Ohio, what about contacting The Citizens Motor Company there for any needed Packard parts? You never know your luck!

Posted on: 2011/12/13 2:28
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Ozstatesman.
Thanks for the tip on Citizens Motors. That's one i was not aware of.

Posted on: 2011/12/13 9:27
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

occaswright
See User information
Thanks for the welcome. I am the owner, and will add to the registry. The Packard Museum in Dayton is familiar territory, and I'm likely headed there today as I'm searching for a Carter BB-1 carb (for a completely different auto), and will tour the distributors in the parts area.
In response to this quote from 39Super8:
'Cap from an Autolite used on the 120 of the same era seems to work on my '39 that runs the same distributor as the '38 Super. About 20 bucks and seemingly available at NAPA.' I'll check with them...would you have a part number? The fitting of the cap to the distributor may be a problem as some are slotted and others use pins.
Lastly, before leaving the thread, I need to re-ask, 'Is there a potential concern for the advance curve? Wouldn't it need to be checked a made to match the original specs? ' Thanks.

Posted on: 2011/12/13 9:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I wouldn't worry about the advance curve just yet. Drive the car and see how it performs. If some advance curve change is needed then there ought to be a wide variety easily obtained weights and springs available for the chevy distributor.

The distributor can be placed on a special ditributor machine for fine tuning according to packard specs for advance and retard. I don;t really know for sure but quite frankly i doubt that any change will be needed.

Look at the pic of the Chevy distributor above. It has the vacuum advance AND manual mechanical advance. USing both mite allow for some preliminary experimentation with respect to advance curve. I like the idea of having both.

Drive the car. If it performs reasonably well then what's to worry about???

Posted on: 2011/12/13 9:51
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved