Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 194

Mr.D, rdinger, Eugene Wescott, Todd W. White, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Packard Building Artifacts
Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello All:

Below is a photo of an artifact that the Packard Motor Car Foundation has for sale.

It is a wood block from the factory assembly floor that is 6.00" wide, 2.75" high and 2.375" thick. The bas-relief medallion is in brass and shows The Lodge gatehouse at the Packard Proving Grounds - it is 2.00" in diameter. Notice it is trimmed in Packard motorblock-color green. The small wood plaque is laser etched.

This makes for a handsome wood block with some real heft.

The blocks were acquired several years ago from the property owners at the same time the PMCF bought the main doors - employee entrance.

Each block is scrubbed clean and then cleaned again in an ultrasonic dip tank. Next each block is milled to give it a consistent size and surface. Three coats of urethane varnish are applied to seal in the creosote aroma inside the wood block and also to give it a protective sheen. Finally the medallion and plaque are screwed in place with brass screws.

Price is $40 includes shipping in the lower 48 of the USA. Ask about shipping to foreign countries.

All proceeds go to preserve the Packard Proving Grounds

Contact Bruce at 33packard34@blevinsscrew.com

This would make a wonderful gift for a Packard enthusiast!

Attach file:

jpg  (69.37 KB)
436_4eee2730aa715.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2011/12/18 12:47
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard Building Artifacts
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Roger, I bought one of these blocks when they first became available. I also contribute to the foundation and urge others whose interest is Packards to do the same. The factory is gone, but the proving grounds is still live. Let us not only keep it alive, but continue the improvements so that it may be a show place worthy of the Packard name.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2011/12/18 14:05
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello J.W.:

We appreciate both your support of the PPG and your product endorsement of our wood block project. Thanks.

But I did receive a PM and I guess I need to explain further. We have more than ONE wood block for sale. We have a whole shop floor for sale.

This is a project of the Packard Motor Car Foundation to raise money for the preservation and restoration of the Packard Proving Grounds.

Currently they are made up on small batches as demand dictates. By posting this project on this website we would like to create more demand by going nationwide rather than just selling locally at the PPG gift shop.

The best thing that could happen is that you overwhelm us with orders and we have to ramp up production to meet demand - it is the American way.

Again, if you want to place an order, then e-mail "Bruce" at 33packard34@blevinsscrew.com

Happy Holidays, --Roger--

Posted on: 2011/12/19 11:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Roger, I could take some on consignment and sell them for the foundation at Salado this spring. What do you think?

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2011/12/19 11:47
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello J.W.:

I think a consignment can be arranged, but Bruce is the guy spearheading this and I sure he will work with you. If you do not know Bruce Blevins, then you should. Besides aerospace products they reproduce a myriad of Packard parts in stainless steel - many hard to find nuts and bolts.

33packard34@blevinsscrew.com

Again, I appreciate your support.

As an update in the 20 hours or so since posting about the wood block project Bruce has received 4 orders. Keep the orders coming and we'll get Santa's elves on the production line.

--Roger--

Posted on: 2011/12/19 12:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
I just sent an email to Bruce indicating I would like to buy one of the artifacts too. Too cool.....great memento.

Posted on: 2011/12/19 13:06
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Roger, I'll contact Bruce Blevins after the holidays and talk with him about a supply to sell at Salado. John

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2011/12/19 13:41
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
The Ford Plant here in St. Paul just shut down Friday after making everything from Model "T"s to practically every one of the Ford Ranger compact pickups since '82, including the last one off the line. There are some nice relief sculptures from the walls and other memorabilia that still exist there, and are being saved. Since it's a Ford plant, of course it will get the full "historic preservation" treatment. The buildings will go, but many fixtures will be saved.

Too bad the Packard plant folded up when everyone was seeking "the look of the future." Also, it went into decline so slowly, that the time to intervene and save some of it never seemed to be clear-cut. It just faded away. The curse of being built to last, maybe. These efforts to save as much as possible even at this late date are encouraging, and a testament to how long a well-built facility can last.

Posted on: 2011/12/19 14:24
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It's too bad another good product bites the dust. I like my little Ranger and won't even consider a full size which I believe is the only model Ford plans to replace it.

With luck the buildings will be torn down. I'd sure hate to see another mess like the Packard plant. I saw on one of the websites Detroit has several other large sites that are now abandoned. How long before those meet the same fate as Packard.

Posted on: 2011/12/19 14:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
not to go off subject, but the ford ranger is revamped next year for a European tour. not USA though.

when the Packard funds pick back up i plan to purchase one of these bricks of wood from the PPG.

Hank

Posted on: 2011/12/19 14:44
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved