Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
192 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 190

humanpotatohybrid, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Trippe lights
Home away from home
Home away from home

Al
See User information
Hi Dave,
Really an "in depth" conversation. Can you send me a PM or call me with what you're looking to get for them?
A photo if possible would be great. I am looking for a pair for my 40.
Thankfully,
Al 480-734-4545

Posted on: 2011/12/18 22:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
An option is a substitution or a variation of something that already exists as standard equipment or at least at some standard level. For example a 4 spd vs a 3 spd stick. A radio delete plate vs a radio or even just a hole left in the dash.

An accessory is an additional item that does not exist as standard equipment. e.g. fogs, OD, lap blankets.

I believe that any misunderstandings is not an issue of "option" or "accessory" but rather that which is PMCC approved whether factory installed or dealer installed or both or not PMCc approved..

REgardless, I believe for any conversation using "option" and "accessory" interchangeably is acceptable.

Posted on: 2011/12/18 22:32
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The industry still uses the terms option and accessory the way that Packard did, then. A FAQ I've been working on, regarding Production Records and Build Codes, included a description, but I'll preview it, here.

The term option refers to equipment that was installed on vehicles, in the course of factory production (usually at an additional charge) in place of standard equipment (included in the base price of the vehicle).

Occasionally, Packard bundled some lesser optional equipment into Groups, with their own unique order code. See the existing RPO charts in this site's Literature and Manuals archive, for a couple of examples.

The term accessory usually refers to equipment that was not installed during factory production, but approved by the factory and sold through, and usually installed by, the delivering dealer. These were promoted in showroom accessory catalogs and often featured in the service newsletter and parts bulletins.

Confusion arises because some optional equipment was also made available as a factory-approved, dealer-installed accessory. Such overlapping availability has been noted on the factory Trade Letters on pricing and equipment that I've been able to examine, and is also noted my RPO charts which are derived from them.

Yet, some dealers offered accessories that were not approved by the factory, but supplied in the aftermarket.

Posted on: 2011/12/19 10:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Flying accessory service and demonstration acc. to SL Vol. 15, No. 3

Attach file:

jpg  (121.50 KB)
757_4eefa6c668200.jpg 1101X660 px

jpg  (114.85 KB)
757_4eefa6db71d8c.jpg 1080X660 px

Posted on: 2011/12/19 16:04
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi Folks:

This is a tough question. The Eigth series offered a single Trippe light as an approved accessory. The light then disappered from the catalogue.

However, for the 19th series I have seen bone stock original cars with a single Trippe light (right side). Also, I have seen NOS 19th 160-180 series bumper splash aprons pre-drilled for a Trippe light. However, I have never found a part number for the 19th-20th 160-180 bumper splash aprons with or without the Trippe light.

I have also seen pre-18th series car with original Trippe lights and the dashboard featured a pull switch that said "Trippe Lite". On these cars holes were drilled through the fenders for the wires with a hollow hex dress nut and the switch came straight through the dashboard by virtue of a drilled hole.

I have driven Packards with Trippe lights and they really throw an impressive beam. However, the generator can't keep up with two of these lights except at very high speed which explains the single right side lights on the 41's and the 8th series single light.

Hopefully someone can come up with the kit instructions to shed some "lite" on the subject.

Hope this helps

Posted on: 2011/12/19 19:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tim, thought-provoking questions to say the least. And I don't have anything substantive to add except, as you already no doubt known, that single center-mounted Trippes (or Zeiss, or Marchal, etc.) were very popular in Europe during the late 20s thru the mid-30s at least.

When I bought my 34 Eight in 1963 from the original owner, it had a single, center-mounted Guide driving lamp which I've since replaced with a Trippe. And the reason for 1, as you point out, is that the generator can easily keep up with the load at night with a single Trippe, but it's a struggle with 2 at the road speeds I'm comfortable with.

Posted on: 2011/12/19 19:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Tim, a less technical but emotional oriented answer could be that additional lights are a more frequently bought accessory equipment and two lamps looking more balanced (less cyclopean).
Sometimes life is simple.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Tatra 603-1

[picture source: www.starenakladaky.websnadno.cz]

Posted on: 2011/12/20 17:53
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Yes Packard did promote Trippe Lights as an approved accessory as shown in this 1931 Accessory Catalogue.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?522

Look inside and you will see a listing for a single Trippe Safety Light that mounts directly to the cross tube between the two front fenders.

I own one of these Safety Lights and have it for sale. It fits any 1930s Packard with an exposed cross tube. The mounting tube is a robust casting with considerable weight. Note in the photos below the Trippe Packard tag inside the light housing. A very unique accessory.

--Roger--

Attach file:

doc Size: 751.50 KB; Hits: 50

jpg  (55.51 KB)
436_4ef1ffdbf2420.jpg 768X1024 px

jpg  (60.20 KB)
436_4ef1ffec0caec.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2011/12/21 10:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not quite the authentic but very effective in night driving.

Attach file:

jpg  (86.06 KB)
177_4ef209de861b8.jpg 429X640 px

Posted on: 2011/12/21 11:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Comments about how bright Trippe lights makes me wonder if the bulbs in mine are correct since I always found the lights to be rather dim when mounted on my '47 Super Clipper. The Trippes I have have excellent reflectors and clear lenses. One of the orginal Trippe bulbs with the black coating on the bulb was still good but I removed it and purchased new bulbs from NAPA #1133 (I think was the number). I had already rewired the lights to relays and installed 6volt Bosch halogen H-4 lamps in place of the sealed beams and these worked great but by comparison the Trippes were quite dull and really added very little to visibility.

Posted on: 2011/12/21 16:01

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved