Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 228

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 9 »

1950 Packard Eight Destined For Racing
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ben_Wojdyla
See User information
Click to see original Image in a new window

This might be a little sacrilegious, and I don't know how the community will respond to this, but here goes. About 9 months ago I bought a 1950 Packard Eight from a very nice man in Michigan. He'd bought it to restore but found himself burdened with other projects and health issues. I walked away the first time, but when he called back and lowered the price from $2500 to $1200 and threatened to scrap it, I couldn't pass. I drove it home, 327 with three on the tree, and parked it. Then started planning.

The plan: A body off restomod with the intent to enter the 2013 La Carerra Panamericana.

The Gear: The straight eight will remain, but after going through it and rebuilding what it needs, a modern automatic will be fitted, along with a 12V system, new front suspension, four link rear with a Ford 9", new floors, corrected body panels, a roll cage and appropriate race interior.

I purchased this car expressly for this purpose. I am a car nut (Associate Auto Editor at Popular Mechanics) and live in the Detroit metro area. I respect the Packard brand, the engineering that went into these cars, and the mystique associated with them. This was Detroit at its finest and I hope to bring this car, nearly put on death row, back to life in a new and creative way.

I also hope to glean bits of wisdom and guidance from this excellent community (I've been lurking for a while), bouncing ideas off of experts and gathering tidbits of knowledge available nowhere else.

Ambitious? Yes. Fool-hearty? Certainly. But hey, you have to spend your money somehow.

Posted on: 2012/1/5 17:54
 Top  Print   

Re: 1950 Packard Eight Destined For Racing
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Ben,
A very warm to PackardInfo. Although most here have a penchant for originality, the Site also caters for those who wish to modify their Packards as evidenced by the Modification discussion Forum. Your saving of this Packard, from the threat of scrapping, is the first of many steps of what you'll do with your Packard. Retaining the straight eight in conjunction with the body maintains a definitive link with it's Packard identity and heritage. I'll be following along with great interest as you progress with the "build". With Packards being entrants in some of the earlier races, your the car in the "....2013 La Carerra Panamericana...." will be a little bit of back to the future!

Lastly, a request, could you please include your '50 Packard Pan American in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo?

Posted on: 2012/1/5 20:30
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Welcome to Packardinfo. As Mal says most of us favor original autos, BUT it is your car. I hope we can help answer any questions you have. Glad to see another Packard on the street to foster interest in the make.

Posted on: 2012/1/6 10:18
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ben_Wojdyla
See User information
I understand the desire to keep 'em original, and while anything can be restored, this one would have taken a small fortune to put right. It looks okay from afar, but up close and personal there's a lot of cancer and 62 years of shade tree mechanics.

I tend to buy well-used cars that are never going to be concours quality again and make them fun drivers cars. I also have a '64 Continental hard top that had a small branch fall on it, slightly tweaking it's unibody frame so the doors don't have proper gap. It's rounding the bend with body work now and has a new carb, carpet, and sneaky hidden toggle switch panel. I just like foolin' around with cars, hopefully I can do this one justice.

Posted on: 2012/1/6 10:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello Ben:

Welcome to the world of Packards.

There is another guy, David Koffel, in Walled Lake, Michigan that has modified his Packard - a 1949 model. It is a drag car that runs by the name of "Flintstone Flyer." He also owns a speed shop that restores and modifies all type of motors www.B1Heads.com This is not that far from you in Ferndale.

Now for the hustle. Why don't you join Motor City Packard Club? We have 200+ family membership and have a ton of activities. We will be hosting the Packard National Meet in June 2013.

Just go to www.motorcitypackards.com , click on application and download. Then mail it to our Memebership Director, Richard.

Best of luck with your project.

--Roger--

Attach file:

jpg  (37.68 KB)
436_4f071ada2cbf0.jpg 480X360 px

jpg  (61.30 KB)
436_4f071af19d481.jpg 750X600 px

Posted on: 2012/1/6 11:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Also see this previous thread about the Flintstone Flyer.

Posted on: 2012/1/6 14:05
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ben_Wojdyla
See User information
I am familiar with the Flinstone Flyer, however I had no idea it lived in the area. When I get deeper into things I'll definitely look Mr. Koffel when I get into the finer details. Maybe even ship the mill off to him to give her a bit more pep in her step.

Posted on: 2012/1/6 16:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Go for it--for many reasons: there are more than enough of those cars around for those that want an original. You efforts will probably bring more favorable interest to Packard than a whole row of restored sedans. And finally, from the mid-thities onward Packards were production line automobiles like everything else, albeit better engineered than many, and I really don't feel they deserve holy cow status. Lastly, as you probably know, many Packards were flogged through that race back in the day. Be sure to check out Robert Neal's "Packards at Speed" book.

I have tons of thoughts on your project and have built several ah, performance enhanced and modified Packards with more underway. I am hoping the have my replica of Jean Trevoux's car that he raced in 53-54 done this year. All the best--and get the name of Packard in front of the public.

Posted on: 2012/1/6 23:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Don't shoot me everyone, but at some point there will be another clipper in
My garage....tubbed, caged, gutted and all Packard motor, ready for some Friday night fun.

Posted on: 2012/1/6 23:25
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ben_Wojdyla
See User information
I have a question. My car clearly has a "327" cast into the head, however the tire hood ornament and trim level leads me to believe the car was a Deluxe Touring Sedan, which was advertised as having the 135 hp 288, whereas the Super Deluxe Touring Sedan (with the swan ornament) was advertised with the 150 hp 327.

Was there an engine upsell option for the Deluxe? If not, what's the best way to figure out what's going on with engine? It may be with 288 with a 327 head or a 327 swap, I have no idea.

Posted on: 2012/1/7 19:54
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved