Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 144

BigKev, DaveJr, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Progress report
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Howard: I have only ever seen the flat check valves no matter how late the production was. As long as yours "seal up" they should be fine.

Where is that info you mentioned about the buzzing noise as my 56 has it big time? I was familiar with the fix for the 52-54 units to prevent buzzing in reverse. My front pump buzzes until the rear pump takes over at 25 or so. Started all at once one day after a 600 mile weekend. Inspection of the pump revealed---nothing. Sounds like it is drawing air, but from where? Shifting is unaffected and quite good.

Like your shoulder bolt idea--and don't worry, an Ultra won't make 300 degrees unless already in advanced death throes.

Posted on: 2012/1/29 14:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Ross, am glad trans doesn't get hot enough to worry about any loosened locktite and am sure Hank's fix will work fine then. I would have used his method only with JB weld if the stupid binding posts I found were decent.

The buzzing article is SC 28 #12 last page. Same symptom as was given for the regular Ultras. They just have you check or fix clearance instead of drill a hole. Mine does mostly as yours does & not in reverse as bulletin mentions -- might start out fine but at first stop you start to hear it and then might go away again. As mentioned, it isn't horrible but if yours does it, then doesn't sound as if the flat original type valves will help either.

I have no idea where these different valves came from unless maybe aftermarket or a South Bend item that wasn't mentioned.

Posted on: 2012/1/29 16:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Car is off stands, made it out of the garage and back in under it's own power with no mishaps. At least the transmission and brake changes do not appear to have screwed anything up--it still goes and stops. Didn't take it for a real test because the hood and some other things were not well secured. Need to finish the AC, charge it and check for leaks before some items get nailed down.

Have some adjustment options on the brakes so will start fine tuning the linkage and ratio pretty soon. To that end, a question for Craig, bhappy, walkerman or anyone else using Craig's mod. If I'm correctly judging the pedal changes you guys made, (walkerman & Craig's pictures) looks to be about a 4:1 ratio. Approx how much pedal travel with the 1" master before brakes apply and lock. Anyone remember how the feel compares to the BTV.

Posted on: 2012/2/3 13:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Howard,
My brake pedal mod was a hurried, on-the-spot fabrication, as I wanted to use my original 56 Exec's brake pedal, as did Craig. My fabricated bracket lowered the pedal quite a bit. I attempted to make the pedal mods, but once installed, the pedal hit the carpet before engaging the brakes.
I used a pedal from a 51-54 Packard model instead. My quickly fabricated pedal has about a 5.5:1 ratio and engages the brakes in .75" travel (less than 1"). It is also pretty sensitive, more so than the BTV. Might this be a result of using a dual diaphrgmed booster?

Posted on: 2012/2/3 20:34
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard, now that the Packard is out of dry dock she will soon be ready for sea trials. Congratulations!

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/2/3 22:49
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Probably a good idea to run the car for a while with hood removed while adjustements are made. Makes it a lot easier.

Posted on: 2012/2/3 23:30
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
Probably a good idea to run the car for a while with hood removed while adjustements are made. Makes it a lot easier.

Agreed, but I have enough trouble as it is putting things I've already removed back on -- without even thinking about trying to take the hood off. The piece missing so the hood is loose is the top splasher and latch. Once the AC is charged and no leaks around condenser area, will install it. Since I'm on the 24-24 plan (24 minutes working, 24 hours recuperating), that ought to be completed in another 6 months.

Posted on: 2012/2/3 23:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

bhappy wrote:
Howard,
My brake pedal mod was a hurried, on-the-spot fabrication, as I wanted to use my original 56 Exec's brake pedal, as did Craig. My fabricated bracket lowered the pedal quite a bit. I attempted to make the pedal mods, but once installed, the pedal hit the carpet before engaging the brakes.
I used a pedal from a 51-54 Packard model instead. My quickly fabricated pedal has about a 5.5:1 ratio and engages the brakes in .75" travel (less than 1"). It is also pretty sensitive, more so than the BTV. Might this be a result of using a dual diaphrgmed booster?

Craig might have a better answer but I think the ratio is more the reason for sensitivity than the dual booster. From specs I've been able to find on various sites it seems most factory installs of modern power units like between 4 and 5:1 and most standard units like between 5 and 6 1/2:1. I am surprised your travel is that small & can see where that could be touchy.

Currently mine is 3 1/2 and a bit too low. Takes more pressure than I like -- definitely more than the BTV although travel is about the same. I'm at the place Craig was before he decided to play with his ratio.

Posted on: 2012/2/4 14:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
[quote]
...Currently mine is 3 1/2 and a bit too low. Takes more pressure than I like -- definitely more than the BTV although travel is about the same. I'm at the place Craig was before he decided to play with his ratio.

I am going to try and 'play' with my ratio by working on my original brake pedal. I have another NOS 56 brake pedal that I will use with your design (my ultimate brake pedal assy goal).

Posted on: 2012/2/4 21:49
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The concept seems to be OK but I am going to work on a slightly revised design. Decided to order some metal today to play. Want to modify the levers a bit to allow a bit more ratio and some more clearance in one spot. Hopefully in that process can get the rod coming thru floor over closer to original location. Will be awhile before fully thought out and tested though.

Posted on: 2012/2/4 22:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved