Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 161

2T9-626, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: M&H Flat head
Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
Interesting toppic... a while back a guy came into napa that runs a machine shop out of his home garage. He showed me some of his work, which was very impressive, and I brought up an aluminum head idea. He said could do it in two pieces for around 300 bucks plus metal cost. How would a two piece head work? Are the water passages eliminated?

Also,anybody know if there is a Petronix kit for 6v neg. ground? Maybe one for a VW or something would work...

Posted on: 2012/4/19 13:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Two individual 4-cylinder heads on a straight eight wasn't uncommon, Hudson with their Greater Eight being one of the several advocates of that arrangement. But I'm quite certain the layout of the water passages and stud arrangement precludes that on Packard engines.

Posted on: 2012/4/19 14:09
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I've seen this done before on a turbo charged 327 motor that was put in a Tub. There is a video on YouTube of it racing around.

The head is made of two slabs of aluminum (a top and a bottom). The water jacket is then machined out of both pieces and of course the plug and bolt holes and combustions chamber, etc are done as expected. Then a gasket is used, and the two halves are bolted together an complete assemble, which is then in turn bolted to the motor.

The trick is do to the machining correctly there is good sealing around the plug areas.

Only way do do it really without having to cast the head because of the internal water jacket.

Posted on: 2012/4/19 14:48
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
There was a company out of austrailia that produced a two piece head for the hudson hornet 6. The bottom piece was water jackets and combustion chambers and the top was just a cover. it looks very similar to the clifford head the 2 pieces were located with dowels and sealed with avation cement. The web site 21stcenturyhudson.com (think thats what it is) has info on the hudson head and the owner had one for sale a few months ago. It was made from 2 castings that were machined but near as i can tell it would work just as well with aluminum billet. I roughly priced out the aluminum in my part of the world and it will be close to $600 for two pieces of thick enough aluminum to square up and dig into but the idea is sound.

Posted on: 2012/4/19 18:05
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved