Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 156

JWL, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

M&H Flat head
Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
Just to get the information out there, I had a recent conversation with the guys at M&H and there very knowledgeable with modifying flatheads as a whole not just the ford V8's. If your looking to get just a slight bit more power out of your engine of your looking to be a contender at Bonneville they can point you in the right direction and give you a rough estimate the cost as well and they don't mind answering any question you may have.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 17:50
 Top  Print   

Re: M&H Flat head
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I'm not trying to be a spoiler but:

Don't believe anybody who doesn't have a dyno. You can get a few extra horsepower just by using 10w-30 oil. But without things like factory new carburetors and manifolds most of this stuff is just trying to get to where the car was when it was new.

I think that goal can only be achieved by modification to computer controlled combustion. But then you have to love that flat straight eight idle.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 19:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
My take on making reasonable increases in horsepower and RPM's on a straight eight 327 Packard engine would be along these lines:

1) Rebuild the engine from the ground up.

2) Use new parts in the rebuild

3a) Increase the compression. First choice, if in the budget, is new custom made pistons.

3b) Bore 0.040" or 0.060" over to increase the displacement and to reduce the undersquare equation somewhat.

3c) If not, use a 288 head on the 327.

4) Regrind the cam, old time cam grinders should know what grind will suit your requirements.

5a) Improve the breathing with bigger intake valves, leave exhaust stock.

5b) A real good port and polish job together with port matching to the manifolds.

6b) Improve Carburettion, use a 4bbl manifold with an adapter using, say, a Holley carb.

6b) If you're very very lucky, might find an Edmunds or other dual carb manifold.

6c) Make your own manifold! 3 side draft carbs, your choice, one for each intake port.

7) Make your own exhaust manifold. You'll want to improve the flow out as well as the flow in!

8) Lighten the reciprocating weight as much as possible, within reason.

9) Explore the oil pump and oiling system and improve if possible.

10) Explore electronic ignition systems or other ignition system improvements. My choice would be a magneto!

11) Go drive and enjoy your hopped up Packard!

Could do the same things to a 120 or the Six/110 engine too.

Pic ex Webshots Site.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.02 KB)
226_4f1a19c49e43b.jpg 568X289 px

Posted on: 2012/1/20 21:03
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Ozstatman very good explanation of the hop up procedure. Would only add, lightening the flywheel is an often overlooked way to get better performance especially in terms of acceleration and throttle response. Older cars had very heavy flywheels, much heavier than new cars.

And modern piston rings have a lot less friction drag than the old style.

Posted on: 2012/1/23 21:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Rusty,

Believe lightening the flywheel falls into 8), which was somewhat vague, thanks for helping to provide a focus for another "easy" way to increase performance.

Posted on: 2012/1/23 22:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
hello ,I have a 327 and am interested in the 288 head mod,this increased the compression? Does this juice the engine if the cam and valves are left alone? How does it work ?Is this a bolt up ?I have replaced the rings and found out my block had already been bored and i think its .6 ovedr so no more of this avenue ,it has stock oversized pistons with a normal top of the pistons .

The other :Timid Mod"thing I am intereted in is the 2 to 4 bbl carb swap by finding a proper intake ,I was looking for a rebuilt 4 bbl that would have been offered at the time (52),i THINK IT WAS A CARTER ,THATS ROCHESTER NOW i think .
You mentioned a holley ,how many cfpm would the straight 8 ingest ? ,have a sugestion of which carb?
what happens to the starter ?,my switch is in the 2 bbl carb off of the accelerator linkage
The other thing I was thinking to do as well is a 6v + ground high output alternator (powergen) ,and 6 v points module pertronix ,as I eat generators at an alarming rate

Posted on: 2012/1/26 20:37
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The 288 swap on the 327 block just increases the compression ratio. I have a '51/52 288 AT head on my '54 327 block.

Posted on: 2012/1/26 21:21
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
The 288 head is a direct bolt on as for the carb a small 4bbl would work either a stock style or an Edlebrock or Holly would be fine. these engines don't really need a huge carb it would kill your bottom end power remember early 4bbl carbs were in the neighborhood of 300 cfm. Holly makes a 390 cfm carb which would be a good choice in my opinion.

Posted on: 2012/1/26 22:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
hmmmm
this sounds fun ,Ill start looking for the parts ,Increased compression means I get to burn super gas ,Does the aluminum head I hear mentioned make any difference or was this an aniwarp issue ?.

With the head off I could finally address my noisy valves

Posted on: 2012/1/27 8:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Does the aluminum head I hear mentioned make any difference or was this an aniwarp issue?

Aluminum was used because it transfers heat more readily and allows higher compression without overheating or pinging.

Because of the evil galvanic corrosion, it's very difficult to find a sound aluminum head. Clean and check prior to paing big bucks for anything.

jack vines

Posted on: 2012/1/27 17:01
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved