Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 201

Bob J, R H, Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

4 bbl intake /carb swap
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
could I get more juice out of my 52 thundebolt w/ a 2 bbl carb by finding a 4 bbl intake manifold and carb to bolt on?in the repair manual theres a section on both carbs so I guess its doable ,the engine has about 70,000 mi , hydrolic lifters ,and new rings,and is bolted to an ultramatic

Posted on: 2012/1/23 17:19
 Top  Print   

Re: 4 bbl intake /carb swap
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Yup, it's a bolt on.

The four barrel gives leaner cruise and better open throttle performance. Especially with Ultramatic.

Posted on: 2012/1/23 18:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
I have an article from an old hot rod magazine that covers modding 2bbl carbs if memory serves it was done at the Man-a-fre shop if your interested i could get the info over to you.

Posted on: 2012/1/24 16:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
I am interested in this swap ,I love a period mod,and will start looking around for the parts ,great to know its a bolt up ,thats about my expertise limit .
The car is ultramatic equiped .It has a hydrolic lifter 327 engine that may have been an option/replacement as the car should have had a 288
What would happen with the carb linkages? how about the starter switch with the gas pedal to the floorboard starter? ,is that bolt up? ;or when I did the swap is there some reworking that needs to be done to these?
the two barrel sits on a phenolic block for tempurature isolation.Does the 4 bbl do this ? will the oil bath air cleaner for the 2 bbl have to be changed out too to fit the 4?

I did a 2 to 4 bbl carb switch on a 66 dodge with a little soup can stromberg to a 4 bbl by finding the correct intake manifiold once ,boy what a difference that made

Posted on: 2012/1/26 20:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Packard actually offered a change over kit from two to 4 barrel so apparently you're not the first wanting more oomph. If you get the Packard setup, carb, manifold etc then it will be a bolt on and the switch will be there. There is a different length rod from the cross linkage to carb. If you get stuff from a parts car it would be there as well but it could probably be made from stock rod or maybe even modify the original to the different length. There are some other small detail pieces, one being the choke tube. Not sure if yours could be modified. You will need a new air cleaner.

Posted on: 2012/1/26 21:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Back in my younger days (long ago and far away), I converted a 52 mayfair to stick with OD and put a four-barrel manifold and carb on the engine. Made it a floor-shift. Had to make an extension on the carb linkage to reach the full throw. Took the two wires from the carb start switch and connected to the back-up switch on the ultramatic linkage - I had already removed the back-up lights.
So you turned on the key, slipped in the clutch, and threw the ultra lever into reverse till the car started, slipped that into Park and shifted gears on the floor.
My wife passed her driver's test in that car. The State cop said he should have passed her as soon as she got it started and pulled out.

Posted on: 2012/1/26 22:45
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved