Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 208

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Several questions...
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Regarding the opening behind the battery; the original seals are still there on my 22nd series (although totally petrified). The seals consist of three pieces of sheet rubber in a V shape that are stapled to the inner fender and are compressed by the battery to form a seal (of sorts). The opening is not covered. I'll add a photo later. I don't know why the opening is there... maybe someone can offer an explanation.

Edit: Photo added.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.76 KB)
188_4f26ddc50251d.jpg 432X331 px

Posted on: 2012/1/30 12:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Cooling effect?

Posted on: 2012/1/30 13:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Cooling effect?

Sounds like a reasonable answer to me.

Posted on: 2012/1/30 13:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Yahoo! I'll get on that second prop asap. BUT, I have no idea where Motor City Packards would be... Any tips?

As for the head gasket sealant, any specific brands suggested? Sounds like it is a really "ought to do" type thing.

As for the battery flap thingy, I have an Optima battery that does not cover the opening. Go figure how I saw the opening!! I think I want to create a cover for the opening since there is no way that little battery could make any type of closure.

On an unrelated note, I received my Packard 1948 to 1950 book by Robert Neal this past Saturday. The book is wonderful, anyone having any interest in Packards would love having this book... just sayin'!!

Posted on: 2012/1/30 22:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
http://www.motorcitypackards.com Detroit area. Prop is listed in their store.

Posted on: 2012/1/30 22:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Hood prop ordered and paid for! Thanks guys.

Posted on: 2012/1/30 22:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
New question on this same thread... Mechanic is saying might be a good time to replace the "studs??" at this time. He means the bolt things that the head slides over and the nuts screw onto that hold the block and head together. Does anyone know of a great place to purchase these? Should I do the nuts at this time as well??? Lausey!! I am ready to go for a drive soon!

Posted on: 2012/2/16 20:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Max says he has the 403255 studs @3.50 ea and 216371 nuts @1.50. Looks repro but can't tell by his picture if the studs have the rolled threads on one end. Maybe worth asking. Those were used after 22nd series to help reduce water leaks. According to service counselor 21 #21 the rolled thread is slightly larger. Using regular cut threads after rolled were installed might require some extra sealing.

Posted on: 2012/2/16 21:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Good point! I will ask, now I have to figure out how many of them to order! I think this could get expensive. Thanks for the info.

Posted on: 2012/2/16 22:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I believe it's 38.

Attach file:

jpg  (16.43 KB)
188_4f3ddb108ffeb.jpg 693X261 px

Posted on: 2012/2/16 23:44
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved