Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 123

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: oil bath air cleaner
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks JD for that useful information. It seemed it had to be, a pure copper oil sump air filter pan wouldn't have the physical strength to stand up to the handling, vibration, etc.

The oil bath units I'm most familiar with are 1941 160/180, 1948 Custom 8, and 1954 Patrician. They all had no copper plating but the steel did seem to have some sort of plating, not entirely unlike (but not the same as) galvanizing in appearance.

Posted on: 2012/2/6 11:11
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
This confirms what I have seen on my old bath cleaner and some other parts as well. Thin copper plating for added corrosion resistance.

The Ultramatic kick down rod on my engine was the same.

Posted on: 2012/2/6 11:18
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Here's a photo of the lower section after a preliminary de-greasing and an initial application of steel wool.

Attach file:

jpg  (17.70 KB)
188_4f300ce848afe.jpg 432X324 px

Posted on: 2012/2/6 12:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
ditto - when I sandblasted the old paint off, the color was copper, and it shined up nicely while prepping it for soldering. But the magnet does stick to it quite well. I guess the holes were due to rust out of the steel. I alsom assumed that the factory copper plated it to protect it from the acids in the oil. Mystery solved

Posted on: 2012/2/6 21:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I replaced an aftermarket chrome air filter on my 23rd series with the original deluxe oil bath air filter that I found in the trunk. It took a day of washing over and over to remove the rats nest that was built by the dirty rats inside the can. After sanding, painting, and making the proper stud and wing nut I proudly put it on the car. Not only does it look proper but it dramatically silenced the intake roar from the engine. That big can crossing the engine is really a muffler with internal baffles.

The oil bath air cleaner does a good job in cleaning the air because it works by centrifugal force flinging the dust particles into the oil as the air turns the corner. I suspect the reason the oil bath air cleaners became obsolete is a higher cost of manufacturing plus extra profit for the parts department selling replacement dry filters.

Posted on: 2012/2/7 10:52
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Well, I got the oil bath air cleaner cleaned up, primed and back together and put it on the car. Problem is, the air cleaner is from a 50 model and I have a 51 with a lower hood. The portion over the carb is touching the hood when it is closed. I was under the impression that the oil bath air cleaners for the 48-50 models were the same as the 51-54 ones. If that is true, the only way I see of maybe getting sufficient clearance is to modify the carb insulator. The one on my car is just over 1/2" thick. Does anyone know if this is correct? If it is, I guess I have a nicely cleaned up air cleaner for a 48-50 car for sale. thanks

Posted on: 2012/2/8 22:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Here are some side by each photos of 1948-50 and 1951 air cleaners.
The 1951 style is at the top in both shots. As you can see, the carburetor end is where the big difference lies.
Also note the copper plated oil reservoir on the earlier one.

Brian

Attach file:

jpg  (94.12 KB)
1137_4f336bc1ba1cc.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (82.80 KB)
1137_4f336c50ccd40.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/2/9 1:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
It is not hard to shorten the vertical stack on your air filter. With a cutting disk and a welder its about 20 minutes work--perhaps an exhaust or body shop would do it for you.

Don't cheat and discard that insulator under the carb. You will not enjoy the results when warm weather comes.

Posted on: 2012/2/9 11:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Thanks! I now know that I have a 50 version. I'll get after it with the rotary cutter and mig welder. I know how much fun vapor lock can be...I do appreciate the help Brian and Ross.

Posted on: 2012/2/9 12:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I currently have 4 oil bath air cleaners. I'm in the process of getting 3 of them pristine for re-installation.

1941 - 180 Limousine (356 engine from a 1948 Custom)
1949 - 22nd series Custom w/original oil bath
1950 - Re-numbered 1949 23rd series w/1951 style oil bath
1947 - Recently purchased to replace the the bath on the 1950.

Now the question. BdeB has put up photos of the 1951 vs earlier units. Neither of these have the 'skirt' like the three early style units I have. The 1951 style that I have is skirtless and will eventually go to eBay.

Anybody know for sure when the skirted versions were used as opposed to the skirtless?

The 1948 accessories booklet shows skirtless. My 1949 came with the skirted cleaner. I'll probably spend some time this afternoon perusing the parts manuals.

Attach file:

jpg  (66.54 KB)
188_4f3401a004a9a.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2012/2/9 12:26
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved