Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
184 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 182

dick29, Joe Santana, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Where did I go wrong?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Dear All,

I am trying to reinstall the rear axle/differential into the light eight. My brother and I got the axle back on the springs, and the springs back in their shackles. Now, we would like to put the prop shaft back on. Unfortunately, as you can see (hopefully) from the photo, the prop shaft appears to be too long, or the differential is too far forward. Since the springs are the same, the differential is the same (rebuilt with new bearings and seals, but the same differential) and the prop shaft is the same, I am stumped as to why it won't go back together.

So, what is the correct way to put a diff back in a car like this?

Thanks tons for your help.

Cheers,

Tom

Attach file:

jpg  (32.88 KB)
333_4f31bf615a98f.jpg 574X640 px

Posted on: 2012/2/7 19:19
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Re: Where did I go wrong?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If it has leaf springs and the springs were removed then they are probably installed backwards.

Posted on: 2012/2/7 19:24
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
The springs are installed the same way they were when we took them out. The part number stamp goes to the rear (according to my notes).

If my notes are wrong, I don't see how reversing them would help, as the axle sits in the middle of the spring. The distance from shackle to axle housing is 24.75" from front and rear. And, the axle housing is lined up perfectly with the bumpers on the frame.

Tom

Posted on: 2012/2/7 19:49
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
I am not familiar with the pre-war cars, but post-war driveshafts are designed to slide in or out of the transmission tail shaft to allow for the up and down travel of the rear end. Maybe your driveshaft is not all of the way in the transmission. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will have your solution. Good luck.

Posted on: 2012/2/7 20:19
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Wrong pinion angle?

Posted on: 2012/2/7 22:32
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Tom, I agree with Kevin. It seems the shaft and differential are not lined up. It's the angle of the dangle.

Went by and looked at the 1407 yesterday and had a nice conversation about the car with Mike. He says it is a full-time job cleaning your drool from the car. I don't blame you, it is a nice one.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/2/8 11:53
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Place jackstands under the rear axle and let the weight of the car press the springs flat. As the arc of the spring straightens the dif will move rearwards. Also, install the driveshaft from the bottom upwards as its arc of swing will be more favorable. I believe you will find that when everything is assembled the driveshaft will not be fully compressed even when the springs are hanging.

Posted on: 2012/2/8 13:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
Place jackstands under the rear axle and let the weight of the car press the springs flat...

Tom, go this way or repeat the dismantling situation (position of the jacks, angle of car declination, load). If not enough put four cement bags or the like in the car.
The below shown illustration isn't a drawing but a photomontage.

BTW Determined by mounting design and type of springs sometimes one has to go the other way around and to place the jacks between the rear axle and the frame to gain better installation circumstances.

Attach file:

jpg  (5.40 KB)
757_4f32dbd4b2683.jpg 500X182 px

Posted on: 2012/2/8 15:32
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Tom,

I recently replaced a drive shaft and had a similar problem.

While I had the drive shaft out I greased the front spline joint, figuring it would be easier to do it with the drive shaft out.

When I tried to put the drive shaft back in it was approx. 1/2" to long. I hadn't touched the location of the transmission or rear axle.

No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the drive shaft in. I finally figured out that I had put so much grease in the front spline joint I lengthened the drive shaft. Since I had replaced the seal at the front of the spline I couldn't compress the spline joint enough by hand to force the grease out and shorten the length of the drive shaft.

Solution - I just removed the grease fitting, compressed the spline joint fully, which shortened the length of the drive shaft by about one inch. I was now able to install the drive shaft and then re-grease it.

Regards,

Dave

Posted on: 2012/2/11 8:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Dave,

Thanks for that tip! I will pull it back apart and take a look.

Tom

Posted on: 2012/2/11 8:36
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved