Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
174 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 173

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Caribbean 55 Rear brake!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Walter Schoepf
See User information
Have a Caribbean 1955 question on brakes!!
How do you pull the rear breake drums off the rear axel?
It look the drum is rivetted in and i wonder if i have to cut the rivetts in order to take it off or if a special tool is requires (ic a pully!!? )
any adivese on that??
Thanks
Walter

Posted on: 2012/2/15 17:20
 Top  Print   

Re: Caribbean 55 Rear brake!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
1955 Packards and earlier require a very heavy-duty puller.
They do NOT require any type of rivet cutter. You may be able to borrow or rent one. Picture attached.

Attach file:

jpg  (4.84 KB)
23_4f3c30b676795.jpg 150X112 px

Posted on: 2012/2/15 17:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Walt,

Do you have a service manual? There is one on this website.

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/servicemanual5556/Sect15_RearAxle.pdf

Another picture of the tool.

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL23NO10.pdf

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2012/2/15 17:40
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You need a tapered axle drum pulled that attaches to the lug bolts. Any other type of puller may damage the drum.

Attach file:

jpg  (67.30 KB)
1_4f3c3455164a5.jpg 864X529 px

jpg  (61.54 KB)
1_4f3c346791458.jpg 765X768 px

Posted on: 2012/2/15 17:40
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Walter Schoepf
See User information
thanks for the information,
Waler

Posted on: 2012/2/16 8:15
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Walter Schoepf
See User information
Got the tools and tried real hard to get the rear brake drum off. I even use a heavy hammer to tighten up the pull. No movement at all..
anybody has any ideas??

Posted on: 2012/2/17 0:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Walt,

Time can be a big factor in this process as pressure is maintained through the puller. First make sure you keep the nut on the end of the axle, just enough to protect the thread and to keep the drum from flying off when it releases it's death grip. Then keep tightening the puller over the course of a couple of days. If it still doesn't release judicious use of heat to the hub, which contains the taper end of the axle, should do the job. More pounding of the dogbone handle and some blows to the end of the handle will also help.

Posted on: 2012/2/17 1:00
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I've never been able to get a rear drum off just by hammering on the puller. Here's what I did to get it off. The jack supports the puller while leverage is applied with a long breaker bar. The rebar against the ground locks it in place. Also, make sure you keep the nut on the drum on loose because when it lets go, it will fly across the garage! Click on pic for larger version.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/2/17 7:01
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Tapers (of ANY application) are released by IMPACT. The puller PRESSURE just makes it easier and faster and convenient. In the case of the rear drums on tapers there is noway (without a special fixture, in this case the puller) to apply any shock/impact to the taper.

SO, apply pressure to the puller, use a hammer and strike the END of the big bolt head OF THE PULLER directly parallel and directly inline with the axle shaft.

i.e. ALTERNATELY strike the puller wing to TIGHTEN the puller while striking the END of the puller big bolt.

Again ANY taper application regardless any make model year, requires IMPACT to release it.

Some concern mite exist about strikeing it so hard if fear of bearing or other internal damage. IF that was true then WHILE DRIVEING THE CAR going into a hard turn at 70 mph would also damage any such parts. So it becomes a moot point.

Look at the end of the big bolt of the puller. OR at least any such puller that was used in service more than just time or two in it's history. Most will show CONSPICUOUS evidence of having been struck with a 2 pound hammer OR have a heavy 3 or 4 pound SLIDE hammer weight AS PART OF the tool.

Posted on: 2012/2/17 9:03
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I'm going to ask a couple of obvious questions just to make sure nothing was overlooked:

1) Did you remember to release the parking brake?

2) You may need to back off the shoes a little bit with the star adjusted as they should be catching.

3) You loosened the axle nut so it is level with the end of the axle? This gives the drum room to "pop" but not fly across the room when it does so.

The act of smacking the "DogBone" with a large hammer both tightens the puller, and gives it the jar it needs to pop it. Just keep hitting it, it will eventually pop. I just don't believe that Packard (or Chrysler) dealerships would have to keep a customers car overnight waiting for a drum to pop on it's own from pressure alone. They just kept hitting it, and trust me, it takes more pressure than you think. They were torqued down to 200-250ft/lbs on installation.

Posted on: 2012/2/17 12:38
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved