Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
174 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 171

Ken_P, 53 Cavalier, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Power Steering
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hotrod
See User information
On my '56 400, I have a steady power steering fluid leak from the bottom of the control valve assembly and the pitman arm stud. I have a Monroe steering unit. According to the parts book, I don't see where there's an "O-Ring" or seal; just a cushion on both sides Plate 31F. How can I stop this leak?

Posted on: 2012/2/23 23:13
 Top  Print   

Re: Power Steering
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2012/2/23 23:15
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hotrod
See User information
Thanks Big Kev, I needed a laugh today. Any other ideas where I'll just have to do this one time?

Posted on: 2012/2/23 23:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The service manual shows O rings on the spool valve plus what appears to be the normal seal arrangement on the internal power cylinder. As to whether the vendors might have a kit for the Monroe is another question.

Posted on: 2012/2/23 23:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
What are you referring to as the Pitman arm stud? The stud from the PS cylinder that is bolted to the Pitman arm??
If you need to rebuild the Monroe cylinder, I believe the usual suspects have the kit.
Group #15.625 part number 474217

Attach file:

jpg  (9.41 KB)
23_4f4727a117c8a.jpg 400X300 px

Posted on: 2012/2/24 1:01
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hotrod
See User information
Yes Randy, it's leaking from the bottom of that stud. Is there anything special I need to know before I tackle rebuilding the cylinder? Is this the only way to stop the leak? They do have the kit. Thanks.

Posted on: 2012/2/24 10:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Worst case is pitting or excessive wear on the piston rod which would necessitate getting it spray-welded oversize, remachined, and hard-chrome plated back to original dimensions. If that were the case you'd probably be better buying a rebuilt cylinder from Lares or perhaps one of the major Packard vendors who may stock such an item.

Posted on: 2012/2/24 11:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
When you disasssemble the cylinder you will know if the kit will do the job or you need to look for a good used one and put the kit in that one. I got lucky and bought an NOS cylinder on ebay - just a lucky break.

Posted on: 2012/2/24 19:48
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hotrod
See User information
How can I get in touch with this "Lares" Company?

Posted on: 2012/2/29 22:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Lares advertises heavily in nearly all the major hobby print publications and has done so for years. They are a major rebuilder of power steering and similar units. If someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll scan one of their ads for you tomorrow.

Posted on: 2012/2/29 23:17
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved