Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 217

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'41 Aero-drive cable and knob
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Just pulled the aero-drive cable out of the '41 as it was stuck, and that's being taken care of. But there are two things I'd like some advice on please.

1) The pictures below show the end of the cable where it connects to the aero-drive. The hard outer tube at the point where it joins the flexible cable sheathing has a fitting that clamps it to the gearbox support. Actually this is a double barreled question
- a) Should the hard outer tube be part of the fitting that clamps to the car because on this one it is not although it looks like it could/should be?
- b)And this one also has a slight kink where it meets the fitting - I presume this should be straight?

2) My cable does not have a knob at the dashboard end - where can I obtain the right knob please?

Attach file:

jpg  (18.23 KB)
226_47f9ecbe5659b.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (20.62 KB)
226_47f9ecd3087e0.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2008/4/7 4:43
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Re: '41 Aero-drive cable and knob
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Mal, You might try here for an Overdrive knob
http://www.yesterdaysradio.com/
Kanter also sells them.
I will have to go look under my car but I am almost certain the cable cover bolts to a frame crossmember with a C-clamp where the groove is located on the outer covering. There should not be a kink in the cable end. I will go take a photo this afternoon and post it here. I suspect that it would be the same setup on my '47 and on your 41 since they both use the R-9 version?

Attach file:

jpg  (51.94 KB)
13_47fa761fdf973.jpg 600X800 px

jpg  (59.89 KB)
13_47fa7797bdc16.jpg 600X800 px

Posted on: 2008/4/7 8:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Dave,

Thanks for the pic's and advice. The kink I'm referring to is in the hard casing where this meets the section with the groove for clamping to the frame. From your first pic it appears there is a kink in your casing just after it meets the grooved section? Also, can you confirm whether this hard casing is integral with the clamped section or separate? Mine is separate, but I wonder if it should be integral with the clamp piece and has become separated over the years?

And I will follow-up the leads for the knob.

Posted on: 2008/4/7 17:18
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Mal, I seem to recall the two pieces were not separate. I also wondered whether or not I had hooked it all back together right because that kink seemed strange but as you can see it is the only way it would fit and it does work fine. I was glad that I could help but I would have to remove the cable to be sure about whether or not the pieces are separate which I can do if you are in no rush. It is still pretty cold here. Cheers!

Posted on: 2008/4/7 18:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

clipper47 wrote:
Mal, I seem to recall the two pieces were not separate. I also wondered whether or not I had hooked it all back together right because that kink seemed strange but as you can see it is the only way it would fit and it does work fine. I was glad that I could help but I would have to remove the cable to be sure about whether or not the pieces are separate which I can do if you are in no rush. It is still pretty cold here. Cheers!

Dave,

No need to take anything apart, you've given me enough to work with. So, stay warm!

Posted on: 2008/4/7 18:47
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I checked another 47 cable which was off the car and it is one piece & fixed at clamp. All the motion happens at the front. (arrow in photo)

Attach file:

jpg  (36.71 KB)
209_47fac3b384be4.jpg 697X800 px

Posted on: 2008/4/7 20:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
I checked another 47 cable which was off the car and it is one piece & fixed at clamp. All the motion happens at the front. (arrow in photo)

Howard,

Thanks for confirmation of the tube casing being fixed at the clamp. And my cable does move, where you have indicated by the arrow, since it was lubricated. So we'll affix the tube casing to the clamp fitting to eliminate any possibility of the casing floating and interfering with the operation of the cable.

Posted on: 2008/4/7 21:59
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, The sheath and the tube should be but does not HAVE to be permanently fixed as the clamp provides the fix for the outer casing. The extension sheath appears to be a weather shield for the actuation rod and this is the same with the R6 O'd. best regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2008/4/8 6:01
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved