Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
202 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 202

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: noisy lifters (hydraulic)
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information

Posted on: 2012/4/21 13:02
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The line has to be there with or without hydraulic lifters. It still feeds the lifter gallery. Hydraulics just need more volume than apparently was getting thru on the engines reporting issues. Keeping pumped up and also losing some into the timing chain area from the end of the gallery just doesn't leave enough to go around when something messes with the delivery.

Attach file:

jpg  (102.71 KB)
209_4f92f88164b8f.jpg 991X781 px

Posted on: 2012/4/21 13:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
Hello Oil Mystery Helpers ,
I got the correct brass block from Max Merrit ,its a 4 way ;1 end goes into the block ,for the oil pump outflow ,1 end opposite it has the female for the sender and then there are two other spots for the two lines ,,one up to the gallery,(The pig tail) and one forward to the oil filter ,
BUT I thought the one to the filter would have a restriction someone had mentioned this ...,but the 2 holes are the same diameter ,so....is there supposed to be a diameter difference causing a restriction? Thats what I was thinking I would see in this part when I opened the box but no ,so I wonder is there a restriction in the correct line to the oil filter or in the fitting?
the only restriction that is apparant would be the lenth of the line forward to the filter but thats negligable.Ive ordered the steel lines ,perhaps theres a restriction in the oil filter line itself ,they will show up next week .I could scrinch the line with a plier

Posted on: 2012/4/25 23:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
That tee is correct. There is an orifice in it both to the left and to the right, and they are the same. There are no other restrictions in the filter system and the filter can be plumbed in with any convenient 1/4" tubing and generic fittings.

Posted on: 2012/4/26 5:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The restrictions depends on the filter used. With yours, it is hard to say what is there but as Ross mentions, a small hole is on each side outlet of the tee. I think it is around a #43 drill size. The center port to sender is full size -- approx 3/16".

Some Packard filters have one or two small holes -- 1/16" or less in the filter's center tube to canister outlet. That acts as a restriction. Some filters have a center tube with multiple or fairly large perforations thus no restriction and need one external. Those may be aftermarket or early Packard type. This small clip from that plumbing article and picture posted earlier mentions an elbow restriction used on early systems.

Would verify what filter you have and if inlet and outlet plumbing is correct. Some filters have the information stamped on the can near the port. At this point, I think the crushed tube is more likely your problem than not having a filter restriction.

Attach file:

jpg  (10.63 KB)
209_4f995a501d608.jpg 386X118 px

Posted on: 2012/4/26 9:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
Ill replacvce the tube first then see what happens ,thank you !

Posted on: 2012/5/8 23:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
oh oh it looks like the oil line from the brass blocks on the older set up go to the oil filter assembly in the opposite way as the later set up
in the old set up for the 40's engines the line from the junction block goes to the bottom and out the top top ,and on the 50's set up it goes to the top
and out the bottom of the filter assemble !!I guess the oil could run either way and still have to pass through a filter element hmmmm
is the actual oil filter itself different internally between the two decades of cars? now I wonder if I have the right oil filter since the oil blok set up is wrong for the year car

Posted on: 2012/5/15 1:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
Here's the pics of my oil filter I didn't post before. Anyways, you can see there's three fittings on it, one on the bottom off the the side, one of the bottom that goes up into the center post, and one on the side. The center post has a hole, less than 1/16" drilled through it (effectively two holes, I suppose. One on each side). I'm thinking oil goes IN the bottom/post fitting, and OUT either of the other fittings... Would it matter which is the out, or just whichever one is convenient? Because of the very small inlet holes, do I still need a restriction in the fitting?

Attach file:

jpg  (149.25 KB)
1423_51b4f952a7e5c.jpg 1280X719 px

jpg  (73.51 KB)
1423_51b4f978e5d41.jpg 1280X719 px

Posted on: 2013/6/9 16:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure what brand filter you have but with 3 fittings, not stock Packard. Packard filters only had two fittings and the side fitting was nearer the top. Yours should work though.

I would plumb as the stock was. For your year the inlet would be the side fitting and the outlet the center. By having the inlet on the side it allows more surface of the filter to collect dirt instead of just the small center section. Less likely to quickly plug doing it that way.

No need for a restricting fitting with the small center holes. I would seriously consider heavier weight oil though because adding the filter will drop pressure slightly. If you don't already have one I would see if you could find a Packard 4 way for the sender fitting to the filter inlet and use that. If not a couple of tees should work as well. Just be sure to supply the small pigtail to the lifter gallery first.

Outlet should drop roughly straight down below the filter to a port on the lower block with oil just dropping into the pan. I would pull the elbow off the extra bottom filter fitting and fit a plug in it's place.

Attach file:

jpg  (23.70 KB)
209_51b504de1aae5.jpg 582X434 px

Posted on: 2013/6/9 17:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved