Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
225 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 224

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

327 L8 dual intake manifold ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Stivers
See User information
Being new to this forum and still learning to navigate it, this topic may have been addressed in the past. Is there, has there ever been a dual/ split intake manifold for the L8 ? I have seen where there are 4 barrel intakes but I was curious about running two dueces or two single barrel carbs. More for looks but I imsgine that there would be a performance benefit as well.

HotRod

Posted on: 2012/3/17 10:28
It is what it is....
 Top  Print   

Re: 327 L8 dual intake manifold ?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Yes, Edmunds made these for Packard engines. 2x2bbl. They are still out there on occasion, and have been reproduced as well. Also made a finned aluminum head...but the cast iron 288 head is a much better way to go.
Separately and NOT to throw this off topic, I have an Edmunds for a 282 if anyone needs it. Have advertised before in the for sale/wanted section with little interest. Hot rodding a Packard engine is not very popular, however, your 327 nine-main is the engine of choice for those that do. And a 53-54 4bbl manifold may be easier to tune....

Posted on: 2012/3/17 11:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Actually I think the 288 would be a better place to start because it is less oversquare and with fewer main bearings it can spin faster. Of course there is no replacement for displacement, but if the objective is turn cash into smoke then a blower on the 288 would achieve that objective.

On diesel trucks they are now using compound turbos. These are really impressive performers to drive, but they don't have a long life expectancy and are not very rebuildable. How these people obtain the cash to waste defies my imagination, which is why I have to settle for a bone stock modern car that turns the quarter mile as fast as a 1961 Chevrolet Corvette and retails for under $20,000.

Posted on: 2012/3/17 13:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
My07Bobber -

I'm guessing that you're talking about upgrading your '51 400, which I know (from this thread) has a 288 head installed (for higher compression).

Rather than fussing around with finding, fitting, and synchronizing a 2x2 setup, did you know that the factory offered 4-bbl. changeover kits for 51-54 327s with 2-bbl.?

The first Packard vehicle to sport a 4-bbl carb. was the Pan American concept car - actually, a conversion executed by Henney. The WCFB was then introduced in production for the 26th Series (1953) cars; to the best of my knowledge, it was available and included as standard equipment on all models but Clippers.

The 1951-54 Service Index points to an article in SC Vol. 28, No. 3, from 1954 - though the title, alone, may be a bit misleading at first glance.

These kits are also listed on the first page of the Fuel section of the 1948-54 parts book, but with no details - other than three different kits for 1951-52, 1953, and 1954.

I've not seen or studied such a changeover, but doubt if you'll find a complete NOS kit for your application. Given the three different kits, you'd likely have to find a 51-52 donor car.

Posted on: 2012/3/17 22:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Stivers
See User information
Thank you for the information. It is definitly an interesting topic to consider. I've seen many inline 6 cylinders with split intakes and thought they looked awesome. That's why the question of whether they were available or not. I do appreciate the tech info though.

HotRod

Posted on: 2012/3/18 1:33
It is what it is....
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I agree that just using the factory 4 barrel would work better than an after market getup. That is a tuned manifold. However, there is no "WOW" factor.

Perhaps take a look at the Hudson Six. You could just make up the whole thing using the heater bypass for heat riser and separate exhaust headers. Unfortunately I don't think there are enough studs. The big problem is carburetors. By the time you get through that headache it might be easier to convert the whole thing to a computer control.

Posted on: 2012/3/18 10:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
If originality isn't a concern, it is pretty easy to mount a modern 4 bbl on a stock manifold assembly. This open up a wide variety of carbs from Carter, Holly, Edelbrock etc. The adapter shown is "off the shelf".

Attach file:

jpg  (119.94 KB)
123_4f66496873910.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (135.13 KB)
123_4f664987d8b35.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (133.33 KB)
123_4f66499eb546e.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/3/18 15:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Stivers
See User information
Very interesting prospects.....now is that a 2 or 4 bbl stock manifold ? It's hard to tell fom the pics.

Posted on: 2012/3/19 9:30
It is what it is....
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
4-barrel.

Posted on: 2012/3/19 10:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Quote:

My07Bobber wrote:
Very interesting prospects.....now is that a 2 or 4 bbl stock manifold ? It's hard to tell fom the pics.

O_D is correct, it is a 4bbl from a '54 Pat. I think they are readily available and were standard on the '53-'54 Seniors as well as the Mayfair and Cavalier. There is also a 4bbl to 2 bbl adapter, but due to the restriction of the 2 bbl manifold I doubt that it would be of much benefit.

Posted on: 2012/3/19 11:26
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved