Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 208

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1953 Packard, Carter Carb rebuild input and fuel filter question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
otgdy, As I understand it the metering rods should remain up at all times unless the engine is running. Vacuum from the engine pulls the piston (you can't see as it's under the top plate) and the metering rods down. As you accelerate the linkage lifts the fork which in turn moves the rods up opening the jets. When the engine is not running you should be able to push the rods down and they should spring back up. Maybe taking the top off the carb will reveal that the piston is stuck.

Posted on: 2008/4/17 7:45
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
Wow I am impressed would never have thought it was vacuume operated. Thanks for the info !!
Now all I need to find out is how to put power steering in this boat. Thanks again ...

otgdy

Posted on: 2008/4/17 10:13
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Dave
See User information
OTGDY,
Thanks for the info on cleaning the gas tank. Let me know if you find the name of the chemical that you used.

Has anyone added an additional fuel filter in addition to their ceramic filter, so the car would now have two fuel filters?

My gas gauge is not working so I am guessing that my sending unit has been damaged so I am going to add the after market one that is posted on this website.

I am dropping the tank to day and I will post some pictures later.

Dave in Utah

Posted on: 2008/4/19 11:33
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Most gas gauge problems are usually wiring related and not the sender or gauge themselves. Bad ground, or broken wiring, shorted wiring, etc. Do a search here on the website, and you should find several forum threads on how to dianoise the problem.

Posted on: 2008/4/19 14:36
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Dave in Utah, the installation of a fuel filter before the fuel pump is a good idea. It filters the fuel before it gets to the pump and carb; thus, saving both from becoming contaminated. I don't know why the practice developed to have the filter between the pump and carb. To me, one before the pump makes much more sense. I installed a filter in the fuel line on the outside of the frame rail by the right front tire on my 115C. This location makes it easy to change. I do not have a filter between the pump and carb. Appearance=wise the under hood looks original. John

Posted on: 2008/4/20 11:11
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The preference for filters between the pump and the carburetor is based on the changes in physical properties of liquids when subjected to positive and negative pressures. Just as your pressure radiator cap raises the boiling point of your coolant, the fuel between the pump and the carburetor inlet is under pressure, has an elevated boiling point, and is thus more tolerant to formation of vapor. Vapor lock almost never is found between the pump and carburetor. But conversely, the fuel between the tank and the pump is under a slight negative pressure and thus has a reduced boiling point and is more prone to vaporizing. To the extent that a filter in the suction line adds to the resistance the pump must overcome, you've added to the reduction of the boiling point of the fuel in that line. Now the differences may be small, often perhaps insignificant, but you can't beat the laws of physics.

Posted on: 2008/4/20 11:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Over the winter I installed an in line electric pump back near the gas tank to use as a primer for the carb. Modern gas must evaporate more quickly than the old formulae. I never used to have a problem with my carburetor cars before about 1990 but with the Packard the carb bowl is dry after two or three days or overnight after a highway run. There is a filter between the tank and the electric pump. I have some concern that the mechanical pump will have a bigger job sucking fuel through the filter and pump and thereby create a vapour lock problem on hot days so maybe the filter/pump in the gasline between the mechanical pump and the tank isn't such a wonderful idea. Time will tell. Has anyone experienced adverse effects of this nature after installing an electric pump?

Posted on: 2008/4/20 12:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, today's gasoline is more volatile and thus more prone to evaporation. My carb also runs dry in a week or so, but I've viewed the few extra cranks of the engine as a positive, as I have oil pressure and distribution before the engine starts. It hasn't had much of an affect on battery life, they (6 volt) still seem to last 5-6 years.

Posted on: 2008/4/20 13:47
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

hoenshellg
See User information
As for the gas tank I had my gas tank boiled and acid washed. They then put a coating inside to plug all the leaks. I asked about that coating coming out and the company i took mine to said that it wouldn't come out unless the gas inside varnished and got old. They told me to keep some sta bil in the gas to prevent it. They also pressure tested the tank after all the coating was done to make sure of no leaks.

Posted on: 2010/4/19 9:51
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved