Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 226

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Rear end (?) Noise....
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I am getting some constant rear end noise (by constant I mean same when applying power or coasting). Does seem to vary with the road surface, FWIW. Will shortly take car in for more experienced analysis....

If it seems to be the rear axle bearings I will probably go to a suitable axle shop because the bearings need to be "popped on and off" whatever that may mean.

Besides the bearings, which are said to be available from NAPA, what else do I need?

Any tips on dealing with the torsion bars, or is that a non issue here?

Or maybe we will install a/c and just sit in one spot and be cool........

Posted on: 2012/3/23 17:02
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Rear end (?) Noise....
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Your saying it's the same whether applying power or coasting tends to discount the pinion bearings, though I wouldn't rule it out completely. More than likely it's wheel bearings, and 55 and 56 have different rear axles and different needs. The 55 wheel bearings are the traditional type that need repacking every so often - a very sorely neglected need on most Packards. The 56 uses a sealed bearing. In either case, they are pressed onto the axle shaft so you'll need a shop familiar with that work and a decent hydraulic press and various blocks, etc.

No issue with the TL, just jack up the car by the rear axle, or if they use a frame jack, disconnect the battery first (or use the suspension kill switch above the handbrake).

Posted on: 2012/3/23 17:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
The actual axle comes out of that giant piece of iron?

Posted on: 2012/3/23 19:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It does and the nice thing is it's easier done on the 56 axle because you won't need to find a mechanic who has a giant hub puller.

Attach file:

jpg  (39.98 KB)
209_4f6d279034f62.jpg 532X729 px

Posted on: 2012/3/23 20:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
If I am reading the flat rate book correctly, time to remove and replace both sides is only .9 hours, which makes it all sound fairly simple (though it never is that simple....)

So what do I need to pick up besides bearings? Gaskets? seals? Chicken fat for lube? A 3.07 rear end?

Posted on: 2012/3/24 0:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Pat:

That mickey mouse arbor press might work with new parts, but for parts that have been subjected to electro-static transfer - forget it.

One of my jokes about flat rate manuals goes as follows:

Three fat guys are sitting at a bar drinking beer and eating doughnuts.

The first fat guy says "How about three and a half hours to change a transmission?

The second fat guy says "We'd save a lot of ink if we made it two hours"

The third fat guy says "We'd save a lot of time if we made everything one hour"

Flat rate manuals that chisel labor actually make no business sense because if you only charge one hour for a three hour job the lost revenue hurts the business more than it cheats labor. And it generates shoddy work. One of the reasons the average age of top rated skilled labor is 55 is because the system also chisels highly skilled labor the most and rewards non-productivity. So young people look at the system and say "screw this, learning something doesn't pay". And I don't blame them.

Posted on: 2012/3/24 7:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
All I have to do is mention the flat rate manual and someone will take off about it. That's not why I use and mention it.

What it is is a good indicator of the relative amount of work involved in various projects. As a non mechanical person, it is a rough guide to what is involved. I am well aware that the age and condition of thee specific car can vary markedly from the book. The book is also based on familiarity with the procedure in question which no longer exists.

Can we let the flate rate issue go to the flat rate place in the sky and discuss what parts I need to get here? Generally when I have everything that will be needed the work is quick and efficient; when the shop has to wait they lose interest......

Posted on: 2012/3/24 20:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The site seems to be having a bit of heavy weather lately. Spring fever, I expect.

Go to Napa and buy two 88128-R bearings and two CR15142 seals. The seals are the inner axle seals and will keep the gear lube from leaking out and washing the grease out of your nice new bearings. The bearings come complete with the retaining rings that must be destroyed to remove the old bearings.

Any gasket encountered in the assembly (between the grease catcher and the backing plate) can be replaced with a fingerfull of silicone gasket maker. I never bother making those gaskets.

These bearings are wonderfully long lived and used in a large number of cars so you will never need to revisit this issue.

Posted on: 2012/3/25 7:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Thank you!

they will know how to remove the axle (s?)? no special tools or tricks involved?

Posted on: 2012/3/25 15:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No special tricks or tools required to remove the axles from a 56. Pretty much the same as the vast majority of rear wheel drive cars use up to the current time.

Posted on: 2012/3/25 15:43
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved