Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 122

Todd W. White, tsherry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Air Cleaner Identification
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
If one were going to use their original filter, how do you get replacement filter media? My air filter has a smaller criss-cross screen inside a larger one with the filter media in between. A lot of my media is missing so I was wondering where to get more.

Posted on: 2012/3/28 18:28
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
I would be interested to know where to get new stock style elements as well... My old one "sheds" even when I oiled it, and that's part of the reason for switching to a paper filter. Sucking in a piece of metal shaving seems no bueno... I do like the look of OE style mesh though.

Posted on: 2012/4/2 2:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't recall just where I saw it, but some vendor sells the copperized version of the mesh in sheet form which you can then pack into the steel retainers. Might have been Restoration Specialties, or perhaps Classic & Exotic. If I run across it in the next day or so I'll ammend this post.

PS - it's Classic & Exotic, part MISC-0201, Select "engine" and then "air filter".

http://www.classicandexotic.com/store/c-370-air-filter.aspx

Posted on: 2012/4/2 8:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Quote:

JD in KC wrote:
I don't know from personal knowledge but the Packard Club lists this decal as being correct for 1937-1950 dry air cleaners.

JD, do you happen to know just where this sticker goes? I found a photo for the breather cap, but can't locate a pic of the air cleaner/silencer.

Thanks,

Posted on: 2012/4/27 16:30
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No idea how much would be needed for a filter but if anyone is still looking for copper gauze or mesh, Amazon seems to carry a product similar to that available from Classic & Exotic at considerably less per foot. If it is the same and used for bird & pest control as mentioned, might be available at local hardware stores. Amazon also has the copper scrub pads many have used in the past.

Attach file:

jpg  (21.50 KB)
209_4f9b141de9888.jpg 636X254 px

Posted on: 2012/4/27 16:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

joeyearl wrote:
JD, do you happen to know just where this sticker goes? I found a photo for the breather cap, but can't locate a pic of the air cleaner/silencer.

Thanks,

Sorry, I don't. I am familiar with the pre/post-war cross-engine oil baths but not that one. I looked in all the pertinent shop manuals but no photo. Hang in there... somebody must know.

Edit:
Click to see original Image in a new window

Here's someone's take on where it goes. I can't vouch for the correctness... but it does look like the owner spent a lot of time under the hood.

Posted on: 2012/4/27 16:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have an unknown how old decal order form from Max Merritt which listed that decal as their item H at the time.

Descriptions reads:

"1937-1950 with dry air cleaner except twelve cylinder models. On air cleaner facing right side of car. White on Black"

The photo seems to agree with that description.

Posted on: 2012/4/27 17:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Howard, that pretty much confirms that it should be on the right side.
Thank you!

Posted on: 2012/4/27 17:55
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Quote:

JD in KC wrote:
Quote:

joeyearl wrote:

Thanks,

Sorry, I don't. I am familiar with the pre/post-war cross-engine oil baths but not that one. I looked in all the pertinent shop manuals but no photo. Hang in there... somebody must know.

Edit:
Click to see original Image in a new window

Here's someone's take on where it goes. I can't vouch for the correctness... but it does look like the owner spent a lot of time under the hood.

Thank you for the excellent photo. That fellow did a nice job, but I think the black is too high gloss. I'm using semi-gloss on mine.

Posted on: 2012/4/27 17:59
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved