Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
239 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 237

packardsix1939, Jimmyk, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fuse for Electric Fuel Pump
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill_OBrien
See User information
Well, after going through 3 fuel pumps due to being burned out it is time to put in a fuse. What type of 'in-line' fuse should I use?

Would this be a good option?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Dorman+Products/326/84938/10002/-1

Thanks

Posted on: 2012/4/4 13:45
-

( o\|||/o )

1936 Packard 120 4 Door Touring

Packard Registry Link
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuse for Electric Fuel Pump
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Why not just a simple "of the era" in-line fuse holder. I'd suggest a fuse rating of 3X the running amperage of the pump. Sure, it should be fused but not sure why the absence of a fuse leads the pumps to burn out. Why did you abandon the mechanical pump?

Posted on: 2012/4/4 14:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Kind of curious why your pumps keep burning out. Mine has been in for years. Nevertheless, for my two cents, I'd go with a type II or III circuit breaker instead of a fuse--just so I didn't have to carry something in a fuse I might not have at the wrong time -- but up to you. Fuses are the standard of the time. As to breakers, type II resets by turning off the power momentarily and a type III is a complete manual reset where you have to push a button. I have one under the dash (ATC type II) mounted inline in a modified ATC fuse holder in the circuit after my pump on/off switch.

Napa has all types and shapes and sizes and info is printed on the packaging in store--not too good a description of types online though.

Here is one of many places selling fuses and all type breakers as well as a description of the type functions.http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/d60_dc_circuit_breakers.html

Posted on: 2012/4/4 14:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I had very poor luck with rotary pumps.

The old Stewart Warners were fantastic.

Today the best pump is the 6 volt Airtex which is not sold through NAPA but is carried by Bill Hirsch.

Posted on: 2012/4/4 16:51
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
+1 on the Airtex pumps. Also depending on the model; you can "pull" through them with the mechanical pump, when the electric pump is off. Which makes it a great pump to use inline for priming and instant vapor lock relief. Just always be sure to use a quality filter before the electric pump, as debris can tear them up pretty quickly.

Posted on: 2012/4/4 16:55
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved