Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
271 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 269

mjschenden, Oldcaddies , more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1929 640 Rear pinion seal
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rodney Dahlgren
See User information
Anyone know what a current day replacement seal number is? Anyone found a speedee sleeve and seal that fits?

Posted on: 2012/4/10 20:13
 Top  Print   

Re: 1929 640 Rear pinion seal
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rodney Dahlgren
See User information
I should add a note. YES, I know it is a felt style seal and YES, I know I can get the felt insert. BUT the steel cage is damaged, the input yoke quite worn and I want to fix this leak.
Anyone???

Posted on: 2012/4/10 23:32
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

todd jordan rayner
See User information
I have a complete 28 rear end for sale if you need parts.

Posted on: 2012/4/12 14:50
metal shaper by trade and hobby
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Rod:

It sounds to me like you may be missing some parts. The pinion in your car should have an oil slinger and the felt seal is really just a dust cover.

If your car still has a 640 differential the fill amount is 3 1/2 quarts. If your car has a 626-633 differential the fill is 3 quarts.

If it is overfilled it will leak regardless. If the slinger drain hole is clogged it will leak as well.

They don't use slingers anymore because that would be admitting that not all progress is good, but mind you the slinger system may always be a little moist in around the pinion area. When the car was new it was supposed to go to the dealer monthly for oil and fluids.

Posted on: 2012/4/12 17:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
I accidentally threw away one of the felt seal retainers on the dif of my 733 and had to have a new one made. It cost about $50 so it's not that expensive. I think I made it about .003 or .004 oversize and pressed it in with a new felt seal. If you know the ID, OD and thickness you could call a bearing company to see if a modern seal is made to that size or you could check the McMaster website as they sell the seals as well.

Posted on: 2012/4/13 18:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you know the ID, OD and thickness you could call a bearing company to see if a modern seal is made to that size

You can also plug the size numbers into SKF's site and see if they might have something modern. They bought the old C/R and still make most of the seals. Napa sells many of SKF seals under the Napa brand but with same SKF number.http://www2.chicago-rawhide.com/popup_parts_lookup_457010.htm

Posted on: 2012/4/13 18:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You might try this site to size a seal and Redi-Sleeve if needed.

http://www.timken.com/en-us/products/seals/industrial/products/Documents/7707.pdf

If you can't size it there, let me know and I can send you about 10 pages from a vintage Trostel seal catalog from where you should be able to find the Trostel # which you can then cross.

Posted on: 2012/4/14 8:37
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rodney Dahlgren
See User information
Yes, it has a 640 rear end. I took a .010 clean up cut on the yoke, polished it out nicely. Then got a double lip seal to replace the felt. Made sure I had the slinger in place and all of the drain holes clear.
BUT what I found out was the driveshaft was WAY out of true.. So off to the driveline service for a new balanced shaft. Road test coming up next week.

Anyone have an extra 21" disc wheel for the 2nd series Sedan project I am working on?

Posted on: 2012/4/19 23:16
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved