Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 152

DavidM, DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Radial tyre size
Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Hi

Read somewhere that a replacement radial size for the cross plys (7.00 - 15) I have at the moment is 225/75R15. I drive a 1950 standard 8 sedan. Could someone confirm this?

I know it will not look original, but cross ply's is no longer available in my country. It even was a struggle to get this radial size in a passenger tyre. Commercials are available but with an aggressive tread pattern that will look funny on the car.

I can get hold of a Hercules MRX plus IV with a thin white wall.
Hercules website
Any opinions on this brand?

Thanks

Posted on: 2008/4/17 4:49
 Top  Print   

Re: Radial tyre size
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm not real familiar with the 1950 Packard. But i think it reasonable to assume that the 225-75 R15's should be just rite. Check for fender clearence. If u can get 235's in there i'd run those.

For many decades and many 100's of thousands of miles i have ran the CHEAPEST DAMNED off brand tyres i can find but always about 1 size larger than what the car was delivered with from the factory. I'm not familiar with the Hercules brand. But i'm not afraid of an off brand tyre either.

Bottom line is to put on a tyre that is BIG ENUF. Stay with the 75 series or larger diameters. And buy the cheapest priced tyre u can find in that size.

Posted on: 2008/4/17 7:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
By the way. Is Johannesburg the former Rhodesia????? And what ever become of Ian Smith, Prime Minister???

Posted on: 2008/4/17 7:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Rhodesia is modern day Zimbabwe

Posted on: 2008/4/17 7:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
No Rhodesia stopped existing in 1979 and now is Zimbabwe, they are in the news now because of the old Robert Mugabe (84) that does not want to release power even though he lost the election. They have the worlds highest inflation rate I think something like 196 000% !!!!!! That country has been totally ruined although it is supposed to be the bread basket of Africa.

I will install one of those tires on the spare and check it on the car to look for fit before buying 4 new ones.

Posted on: 2008/4/17 7:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I have 235/75/15's on my '47 which originally used the 7-00-15 size also. I chose this size because the diameter is less than an inch less than the original and they are extra load tires. The rear wheel openings are larger on the '47 than the 48-50 models so that may create a problem for you.

Posted on: 2008/4/17 7:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
I specs on those Hercules tires is:

Overall Diameter = 28.1 inch
Rim Size: 6.0 - hope this is what I have???
Load Capacity: 1874 pounds
Max psi: 35
I hope these specs, especially the load capacity will be sufficient.

Posted on: 2008/4/17 8:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The original tire size on a 1948-50 Eight was 7:60 x 15; this is not to be confused with a 7:00 x 15 which was based on an earlier sizing measurement system and is actually a slightly larger tire. Coker Tire's suggested replacement in radial for a 7:60 x 15 is 225/75R15. As already pointed out, there is not a lot of clearance in the rear fender wells, sometimes requiring folks to deflate their tires to get them on, and then inflate in place.

Posted on: 2008/4/17 9:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If u jack the car up at the frame or bumper will that allow the axle to drop enuf to install the wheel without inflation/deflation????

The problem with tire sizing is that they vary among manufacturers by as much 3/4 inch but usually at least 3/8 inch on diameter and width. Usualy the "cheaper name" tires will be slightly smaller than premium name.

Your best bet is to take an existing tire that u like and match it side-by-side to tires in question. HOWEVER if u mount and inflate the tire it will tend to grow in size overall by about 1/4 inch.

The 'cheaper grade' tires are usualy manaufactured by a brand name company. e.g. my Cornnells are made by Dayton tire and i've had other off brands by BF GoodRich, Fisk et-al.

Posted on: 2008/4/17 9:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
....And what ever become of Ian Smith, Prime Minister???

Saw on the TV news a couple of weeks ago that Ian Smith died.

Posted on: 2008/4/17 15:02
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved