Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 229

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Newbie to the Packard world.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

seizure66
See User information
Hello there, I have been lurking for a day, and just wanted to say hello. Looks like there is a lot of good info here, and I look forward to sharing my project, and hope to meet some friends, and, shall we say, mentors in the Packard world!

Today I brought home a 1949 Packard Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan. I am pretty happy about that! She's a real beauty. The upholstery is fried, been sitting in that Arizona sun a few years too long. There were a couple of bath towels in there, and that fabric seems to be a little more resilient. I see a guy here who can help with that, Texas I believe....

They say it ran 5 years ago, so that's good news. My first purchase will be a battery, still on 6v. And we'll see how that works out, any suggestions on first off do's and do not's? Some folks say to lube up the cylinders right off the bat and let it sit for a week I know, pretty excited to hear it turn over. The coil looks clean and new(ish), wires are not all together chewed up by rats, although I did find some poo and peanut shells, anyway, I will post more pics when I get them uploaded....(I tried to load some so we'll see if it worked, not showing on preview?)

What can you tell me about this model? Good, bad, or otherwise, I think it is a good find, and we will have fun getting it back on the road. Is it good to tow a little 1962 Shasta Compact with?

Attach file:

jpg  (140.65 KB)
4535_4f94db7713dd6.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (145.37 KB)
4535_4f94dba06baac.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (175.25 KB)
4535_4f94dbcd74e6d.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (140.65 KB)
4535_4f94dc384de8d.jpg 960X1280 px

jpg  (104.75 KB)
4535_4f94dc6bf0468.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/4/22 23:41
1949 Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Newbie to the Packard world.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Congratulations, and welcome to the world of Packard!

It looks much like my '48, only with better chrome, and without the roof damage.

I would put some Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders, and go to NAPA and buy a battery- 7205 is an exact replacement, but they will have to order it, and 7248 is usually in stock, less expensive, has more cranking power, but is a 1/4" wider so the hold down won't fit.

You probably will have to remove and clean the fuel tank, and rebuild the carb.

NAPA has the fan belt: 28501.

Then there's the brakes. Go check out my blog, listed below, and feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Posted on: 2012/4/23 0:06
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

seizure66
See User information
Thanks for the welcome! This is a dash 9. 2262-9, I'm headed to your blog now! Thanks again, this car is exciting, the doors are hung so well, the drivers side catches a little on the way in, not bad though! Thanks for the info on the belts, batt, and I have me a jar of Chem Clean for that carb! I was looking at the tank today, good idea, as I was down there I noticed a whole ton of leaf springs! can't wait to get her on the road!

Posted on: 2012/4/23 1:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day seizure66,
Like to add my to the wonderful world of PackardInfo. And invite you to include your '49 Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2012/4/23 2:54
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Hi seizure66, welcome to PackardInfo.com.

Chandler, Phoenix, Gold Canyon, Tucson, ... your hometown Flagstaff is surrounded by active PackardInfo members.
The German websitehttp://www.motor-klassik.de provides an intresting picture, taken in Hidden Valley, Maricopa next to Phoenix, Az.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2012/4/23 6:28
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
this was a very popular car by Packard standards, and therefore one of the easiest to find parts for today. The only real quirk I can think of is the relative difficulty of getting off the rear wheels (tight fit, need to let them drop all the way down)and brake drums (puller needed). I assume by now you get the dual latch hood and gas pedal operated starter

Posted on: 2012/4/23 8:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Seizure66,

Nice beginning to long a beautiful relationship with your new PACKARD! Your car looks somewhat familiar to me. Did in previously reside in the Picacho Peak area of Arizona near Eloy? Just FYI, the is a very strong regional presence from the PI club in the Phoenix metro area.

Posted on: 2012/4/23 10:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
Nice Packard! I have a 1950 Deluxe 8, which is very similar. On my Series 23 the chrome strip is in the middle of the doors. On your 22 Series the chrome is on the bottom. Most parts are common to the two Series cars.

The parts are readily available from several sources. I have dealt with Sandy Chirco at Tucson Packard for a number of special items. He rebuilt my distributor and discovered the incorrect parts that were in it. He also rebuilt the fuel pump, and supplied several very hard to find chrome items.

My car was almost the same shape as yours. You can look at the writeup about my car on this website to see all the things I have done. The latest fix was replacing the fuel sender, which required dropping the fuel tank. You can take the tank to a radiator shop to get it cleaned and checked for leaks. I suggest cleaning the tank before driving it. Also change all the fluids.

This forum is great to get help from folks who have the experience. If you need some used parts you can request it here too.

Posted on: 2012/4/23 14:19
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

seizure66
See User information
Thank you all for the warm welcome. No, I have not figured out the gas pedal starter, how does that work? I'm telling you, this is new territory! I got the hood trick down. First thing is the battery, I called NAPA today, looks like $130...ok, I will have to do it. Is there a better priced option in AZ? I will be in Phoenix and Prescott this week...

I have no key, so will hot wire, unless that key actually works that my wife found, it is stamped "gas", but seems to fit the ignition, and turn to the right fine.

So far I have shop vaced the loose floor, and tried to salvage as much of the seats as possible, the headliner went too, nothing to save. I really have faith that I will not be far off from a start, once I get the battery.

As for the history, it was in McGuireville for the past 15 years, running fine 5 years ago, but not too far from home as I understand. PO said brakes were good then, and he was surprised how quiet it always ran. That was 5 years ago, not all that long ago really.

I am impressed that the manuals are on this site! I also look forward to meeting some of the nearby enthusiasts. Thanks again!

Posted on: 2012/4/23 22:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Your starter is activated by a switch on the carburator. with the ignition switch turned on (to the right) depress the accelerator pedal to the floor to engage the starter. The switch will be on the back of the carburator closest to the passenger fender. It has two wires connected to it.

Posted on: 2012/4/23 23:12
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved