Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 221

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Straight 8 Engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken Sadler
See User information
I'd like to learn more about the straight 8 engine but don't seem to be able to find any detailed information.

Can anyone point me to a suitable reference (preferably online).

What was the difference between the Standard 8, Super 8 and Deluxe 8?

Thanks

Posted on: 2012/4/29 8:29
1930 Deluxe 8 745 Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton
See me in the Registry
 Top  Print   

Re: Straight 8 Engine
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I guess the question is which Straight Eight motor family? There are the 320s, 356s, and the 288/327/359 families, and there are of course the earlier ones.

Posted on: 2012/4/29 22:43
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken Sadler
See User information
Well I'm primarily interested in the one fitted to mine.

1930 385 cu.in

Posted on: 2012/5/1 2:22
See me in the Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
The Super 8 (a term not used until 1933 I beleive), Deluxe Eight, and Custom Eight were the top-of-the-line eight cylinder engines. Displacement was 385 cu. in.

The Standard Eight and Eight was a smaller, less powerful engine of 319 cu. in., shorter than the 385 by about 6 inches.

For 1930, the Custom Eight and Deluxe Eight were the same engine, used in the Model 740, 745 and 734. (You might also see reference to a 745C, which was the same engine, but a different radiator.)

The "real" Super Eight engine was dropped in 1937, when they used the Eight and called it a Super Eight. In 1940, the Super Eight became the 356cid hydraulic lifter engine, basically the most powerful engine available. (Buick fans would probably argue that point, though.)

Posted on: 2012/5/1 8:18
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Click to see original Image in a new window

Ken (kts68), once upon a time the biggest of all Kevins reached a crossroads. On the left he saw a sun-drenched way and he knew that this was nothing less than the safest way to gain money. Straight ahead his tired eyes regcognized an auspicious road and he knew that this was the road to recover from the Packard bacillus. And then he saw on the right-hand side the third way. A rocky path that ascended to one of those typically barren chalk hills. Where does this path go to? The truth broke in upon him and he paved the thorny way which leads today via expressway to the Packard engine overview.

Click to see original Image in a new window

8x10 black and white Packard Co. file photograph of a 1948 Packard left side view, on road with female driver, sign at front of car reads 'Detroit Via Expressway.' Photo caption on back from Packard News Service Performance car among Packard's new 1948 designs is the super eight club sedan shown here, powered by a new 145-horsepower straight eight engine, this model has the highest power-to-weight ratio of any car in the new Packard line, one of three all new Packard eights for 1948, the super eight series includes three body types on 120-inch wheelbase, and four body types on 141-inch wheel base, all are distinguished by their new 'free flow' styling, and many other unusual body and chassis features.

Item # EB01e327

Photo courtesy of the Detroit Public Library, National Automotive History Collection and used with permission.

Posted on: 2012/5/1 11:24
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken Sadler
See User information
Thanks for the story and the link

Posted on: 2012/5/2 7:25
See me in the Registry
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved