Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1955 Packard 400 with factory air on eBay
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
I've spotted a "barn find" 1955 Packard Four Hundred with factory air conditioning for sale on eBay. For any of you who want to add air conditioning to your '55 or '56 Packards, this might be the vehicle you are interested in. Serial is 5587-1820; Paint Code GL; Trim Code 84.

The seller has a starting price of $1,600.00 with "Buy it Now" price of $2,800.00. The seller also claimed that the engine kicked over after placing some gas in the carburator and hooking up a fresh battery.

1955 PACKARD THE FOUR HUNDRED COMPLETE RUNNING CAR BARN FIND RATROD RESTORATION

The vehicle is currently located in Floral City, Florida, and comes with a bill of sale rather than a title.

I post this solely for informational purposes and not as any endorsement of any kind. I just want to see these marginal '55s and '56s go to decent homes.

Attach file:

jpg  (34.20 KB)
3929_4fa56e80ef99d.jpg 500X375 px

jpg  (31.13 KB)
3929_4fa56e9275760.jpg 500X375 px

jpg  (24.54 KB)
3929_4fa56e9c10009.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2012/5/5 13:17
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 Packard 400 with factory air on eBay
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Certainly looks like a better starting point -- if those few spots mentioned mean it's not all rusted out like a few of the sellers "barn finds" from last few weeks. At least the buy it now price is more reasonable -- but still a tad high IMHO.

It is aftermarket air but which one is a question. Photos not large enough for details. Appears to be hang on and not trunk for a change. Believe most of these "Packard factory air" claims are more likely dealer installed units. So far most have been the ARA trunk unit or possibly the made for S-P trunk unit which came to light a few weeks ago.

Real 55 factory air would have had a big blower taking up the back drivers side corner of engine compt & a box up under the dash with vents thru the pad like that well equipped but thoroughly rusted out Patrician of a few weeks ago.

Posted on: 2012/5/5 13:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

phsnkw
See User information
I wonder what the two buttons(?) are on the drivers side dash under the ash tray?

Posted on: 2012/5/5 17:34
"Do you ever think about the things you do think about?"

Inherit the Wind
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good eye. Do look like buttons don't they. Can't think of many things a button would work except a starter or maybe a version of manual level control. Perhaps the car will change hands and a new owner will come on board asking about them.

Notice how far back that AC grill is under the glovebox. Looks like it maybe has two circular openings but doesn't appear to be very adjustable. For the era, seems small so probably the kind that uses a fan instead of a blower. Be nice to know the brand and more details. Too bad something like it is not around anymore for those that are trying to hang one of today's larger units.

Posted on: 2012/5/5 18:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I like the '51 Pelican.

Posted on: 2012/5/5 21:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
It is aftermarket air but which one is a questio Photos not large enough for details. Appears to be hang on and not trunk for a change. Believe most of these "Packard factory air" claims are more likely dealer installed units. So far most have been the ARA trunk unit or possibly the made for S-P trunk unit which came to light a few weeks ago.
n.
Real 55 factory air would have had a big blower taking up the back drivers side corner of engine compt & a box up under the dash with vents thru the pad like that well equipped but thoroughly rusted out Patrician of a few weeks ago.

Definitely quick way to spot mis-represented "factory air" is missing dash pad vents.

The AC outlets in the pic are under the dash, so apparently this is not a trunk-mounted unit with vents in the rear. Pic of trunk would confirm this.

It would definitely be interesting to see how this modification was accomplished, as it is the style of aftermarket install that would be done today, albeit an old unit. How everything was installed and routed would possibly give a good template for a modern install.

Posted on: 2012/5/16 22:16
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It appears the car sold for slightly over 3K -- or at least the price box said there was a winning bid. Maybe the new owner will join us and fill in the blanks.

Looks like a typical hang on aftermarket unit from the hose routing -- out of compressor to a clamp on fender and then to an opening on the firewall by the heater. Have not found a picture of any evaporator unit exactly like it though. S-P had one in 58 models that looks somewhat similar but the S-P grill appears to have larger squares in the round opening -- and I think it is deeper. One thing I am curious about is the chromish box on top of compressor. Is it part of the unit or not.

Posted on: 2012/5/16 22:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
WOuld u say that chrome box is big enuf for a coupl'a sparking plugs???? HD had a spark plug holder accessory identicle to it from about 1948 up thru 1970. They were not real popular tho. Not too many people bought them.

I have one and it's identicle to the one in the pic.

Posted on: 2012/5/16 22:53
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
On second look, the HD plug box had a small acorn nut directly in the top center of chrome cover. I do not see such a nut on the chrome box in the pic.

Posted on: 2012/5/16 22:56
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved