Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
170 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 166

Leeedy, HH56, moodydavid16, Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

23rd Series Maplights
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Schmick
See User information
Hi, folks. Got a question on the operation of my 23rd Series Super 8's maplights. I know the so-called maplights are the courtesy lights that come on when I open the doors. However, when I push the maplight switch, they don't light up. Is there some bizarre combination of accessories that must be in operation/on in order for the maplights to light up when the switch is pushed? If not, then I'm assuming I have some sort of issue going on with the switch itself.

Dave S

Posted on: 2008/4/25 11:02
 Top  Print   

Re: 23rd Series Maplights
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Can't remember if the ignition key needs to be on, but you could check this by consulting the wiring diagram. But no bizarre combination of things is required to operate the maplight switch. It may be fused separately though, again check the wiring diagram. If you don't have one and there isn't one on this site, it is on the PAC site.

Posted on: 2008/4/25 14:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looking at schematic, if they work with door buttons, then it has to be a disconnected wire or switch itself as it's just in parallel with door switches and provides a ground.

Posted on: 2008/4/25 16:24
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Schmick
See User information
That's what I figured...looks like I need to dig into the switch. I was fortunate to buy a Packard that was well maintained...and this feature is about the only thing that doesn't work (other than the clock)...so I just HAVE to fix it!

Posted on: 2008/4/26 21:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Just to corroborate 'Owen_Dyneto' and 'HH56' with a real-world push of the hopefully unmolested maplite button on my 23rd Series... the map lights operate without the the ignition/accessory being on and it's not dependent on any other switch.

Posted on: 2008/4/27 17:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
The 22nd and 23rd series cars have the map light switch in the dash which controls a light that is in the switch and points down. It does not control the courtesy lights. If you look under the switch you can see the bulb.
Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2008/5/2 22:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
21st series had the bulb in switch, and I am willing to be educated but unless both types were available but not mentioned, I don't believe the 22-23 had it. The owners manuals describe the map light switch turning on the courtesy lights on underside of dash at each end and schematics show the switch in parallel with front door switches.

Posted on: 2008/5/3 9:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
My 23rd Series is as described by HH56 above. The Map Light switch turns on the courtesy lights which are also controlled by the front door switches. No bulb in switch.

Posted on: 2008/5/3 12:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Sorry. That's my mistake. That is in my '47 Super, not the '49. Boy I should have know that right off.
Again sorry.

Posted on: 2008/5/4 20:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
It is nice to have so many Packards you get confused
I'm laughing with you - not at you. And it is nice to have more than one.

Posted on: 2008/5/4 20:27
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved