Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
246 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 245

John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Hard Starting when warm on a 1940 120 Convertable
Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
What is the car's history. Has it always been hard to start? What has changed?Another consideration is the cooling system maintenance--block, water pump, distribution tube and radiator. I wrote a couple of short articles about vapor lock and percalation last year. If there is gas dripping down the intake manifold from the carb throttle base you have percolation. Good luck!

Posted on: 2012/5/17 19:55
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Lowell Fast
See User information
Cheapest and quickest test is to purchase 2 condensers. Get engine hot and try starting . If starting fails, quickly replace the condenser and try again. If it starts, put the other new condenser in your glove compartment and throw the old one as far as you can.

Been there} in a 15 minute parking space in front of the post office..

Posted on: 2012/5/17 22:16
1939 - 120 ,4 dr / overdrive
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Ozstatman wrote:G'day Rob,...I invite you to include your '40 120 Convertible in the...Registry...
Hmmmm,
Rob, I was going to say for including the car referred to above, but...the Packard you have included is a '41 One-Ten 4-Door Touring Sedan!
It is still for the '41. But begs the question, do you have more than 1 Packard? If so, I invite you to also include any other Packards in the Registry!

Posted on: 2012/6/4 21:07
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Don;t have to replace condenser real fast. Just connect a new condenser on the points side of coil and ground the body of the condenser. This works UNLESS the old condenser under the cap is grounding out when it gets hot.

Posted on: 2012/6/4 21:22
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

robtroxel
See User information
Just picked up the 41 110 Sedan. Will get caught up with all the cars on the registry soon.

Meanwhile thanks to all for the great suggestions on hard starting. We don't think it is a perculation problem. Carb was rebuilt and pass all the diagnostics suggested here. Starts great cold. What we have found it that if you depress the gas once when warm, it seems to start better. We will try the condesor/ coil replacement next.

Posted on: 2012/6/5 5:51
Rob Troxel
1941 Packard 110 Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
qUOTE:
"What we have found it that if you depress the gas once when warm, it seems to start better."

That is not uncommon for engines with CARBURETORS. Modern EFI (and variations of EFI) do not require any gas pedal operation whatsoever nor would it have any effect on such modern EFI engines. So anyone accustomed to modern EFI engines mite not realize variations in starting an engine equiped with a carb.

If it is still not starting to your satisfaction then try holding gas pedal to the floor until it starts.

Bottom line: u mite very well have NO ignition/timing/carb problems at all. Only a starting procedure problem.

As a side note, on older vehicles with questionable/worn floor coverings be sure that there is no ragged/rotting portions of the floor covering that mite hang the gas pedal.I only mention this as general inspection for ANY car with aging floor covering whether carpe,t rubber or ANY material.

Posted on: 2012/6/5 10:18
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
robtroxel wrote:..Just picked up the 41 110 Sedan. Will get caught up with all the cars on the registry soon...
Rob,

Congratulations on the '41 110. Looking forward to seeing ALL the cars in the Registry!

Posted on: 2012/6/5 17:12
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved