Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 142

Charles, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Starter Went Bad?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andrew Armitage
See User information
Well, I'm in the market for a new starter if anyone has any leads. I'll try to contact Flaskmaster to see if he still has that one and if it's for my car.

Posted on: 2012/6/19 14:39
Andrew Armitage
Plainfield, IL
'47 Packard Custom Super Clipper Eight Limousine
'41 Cadillac Sixty-Seven Series
'40 Buick Limited
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I cursory glance on the internet shows several GM Muscle car guys with the same problem with broken Delco starter snouts. Looks like three are two possible causes.

1) Ignition advanced to far and it causing a kickback when the motor starts.

2) Starter flexing from loose or improperly torqued bolts. Also I guess on some models GM used an additional brace the supported the front of the starter, and if that brace was missing the torque of the starter would cause it to flex and snout clips the spinning flywheel.

Posted on: 2012/6/19 14:46
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andrew Armitage
See User information
It called Kanter to see if by chance, they had a starter available.

They don't.

But the gentleman I was speaking with was able to determine that the starter that was in my car was a high output model for a 1953 and 1954 Packard Short Wheelbase Military Ambulance produced by Henney, of which only approx 352 were made. That was its only application.

Maybe it kind of fit, but not fully and it lead to its demise. That and the fact that it just wasn't the right starter.

Now I feel extra bad that I destroyed it.

As JD stated, the correct starter for my car is an Autolight MAX4052.

So the search begins.

I need to start to keep a journal of this car's history so that the next care taker of it will know what its been through and what's been done to it.

I was going to sell it but now I feel obligated to get it squared away.

Posted on: 2012/6/19 15:02
Andrew Armitage
Plainfield, IL
'40 Buick Limited
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andrew Armitage
See User information
John Ulrich has a rebuilt Auto-Lite MAX4052 ready to go. $450. I ordered it.

Guess I'll be looking to put some overtime in at work very soon.

I'm just thankful I found one. Thanks for the help guys. I'll keep everyone posted on how everything turns out and if I can cure that hard starting when hot problem.

Posted on: 2012/6/19 16:21
Andrew Armitage
Plainfield, IL
'40 Buick Limited
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Andrew,

John Ulrich is one of the good guys. I have always enjoyed my few transactions with him. I expect the shipping charges are a fair percentage of the purchase price. They are a heavy piece of equipment. The starters for the 356 engine are a bit more complicated than what is usually seen on other engines. I thought you might enjoy this view of my starter when I was overhauling it a couple of years ago. They are not hard to work on, just a lot of moving parts.

(o[]o)

Attach file:

jpg  (26.98 KB)
565_4fe10871bc228.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/6/19 18:17
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Having that clean a workbench should be against the law. You miss half the adventure if you find a missing piece right away rather than enjoying the search thru the midst of 3 others residing below.

Posted on: 2012/6/19 18:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard,

I have to admit that this was a staged photo. But, yes I also have to admit that I have to have an orderly place to work. If not, I would not be able to find anything. I have a hard enough time with a reasonably clean bench top. I can't imagine what it would be like if it were cluttered. Not a pretty picture.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/6/19 18:29
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Indeed the 356 starter is a unique, heavy beast. Yes, I can supply, though on re-read it seems John Ulrich gets the business today. He is probably having a good day as I bought something from him today as well. All good.
FWIW, I brought several starters to Salado this year, a load of them help my truck to ride smoother, including a 39 Super 8 starter with a welded nose just baiting people to enter that discussion. I've had 5 of them in recent years, 4 of which have had welded noses....oh, and if you want a correct distributor I've got that too.

Posted on: 2012/6/19 18:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
John, You'll have to stop by and see how those of us less organized survive.. Probably one reason I usually buy 3 or 4 of everything. Know I'll lose the first two -- usually by putting it on a shelf where I won't forget it and then promptly do.

Posted on: 2012/6/19 18:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Yup.

Attach file:

jpg  (66.72 KB)
4371_4fe133f513fd1.jpg 800X598 px

jpg  (69.86 KB)
4371_4fe134055f59b.jpg 800X598 px

Posted on: 2012/6/19 21:23
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved