Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 157

kevinpackard, DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Door glass installation
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard
See User information
Hello all,

Been all day trying to install new glass for the front door.Got another glass with the lower channel on it but the spring always goes off.Not much showed how to do this in the service manual

Posted on: 2012/6/21 14:27
 Top  Print   

Re: Door glass installation
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Are you having trouble removing the old glass, or installing the new one?

The lower "channel" is held to the window riser assemble with a washer and clip on the riser post.

Posted on: 2012/6/21 14:43
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the clip and pin are in good condition, then there is probably a spring like anti rattle washer which needs to compress a fair bit before the groove on the pin is exposed enough to let the clip grab properly.

If your fingers are not able to squeeze enough, maybe removing the lower stop can allow the window to drop low enough to get something like channel locks on the bottom. If so, the washer and anti rattle can be compressed SLIGHTLY with some help from the pliers and the clip installed.

Be sure and put some lube on both sides of the channel groove areas where the washers slide.

Posted on: 2012/6/21 15:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Yes, for sure remove the lower stop. This makes everything much easier when removing and installing those windows. Gives you much more maneuvering room.

Posted on: 2012/6/21 16:22
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard
See User information
Thank you guys.Just finishing this work.

Posted on: 2012/6/21 19:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Isn't there an issue with the tracks/channels which causes door glass to keep cracking if not addressed? I'm talking 50s cars.....

Posted on: 2012/6/21 21:58
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe a couple were if one of the channel bottom end supports was loose, the window could vibrate and hit the regulator if door was slammed and another was poor adjustment could let the window fall out of the channel.

Posted on: 2012/6/21 22:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
I tood the window glass out of the doors of my '55 Four Hundred to replace cracked windows. I have been having one heck of a time getting the window to stay in the window channel in order to re-install the windows. Even when I have the window channels at their maximum adjustment level towards each other, the window just doesn't go into both channels, like the window is simply too small. One of the windows comes from a donor door and just won't fit into the channels.

Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?

Posted on: 2015/4/4 22:58
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
long time working on this I see. This is one of those times when a look into the parts manual is in order. Perhaps you were sent window glass from a clipper? are there 2 sizes and 2 part #s for glass? I had all the glass and motors removed from my 55 back when and I do not recall any issues reinstalling. I was however putting back the same glass and had new channel felt as well as the belt line sweeps installed.

Posted on: 2015/4/5 5:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
How much too wide are the channels? Was the felt portion changed and if so is it the same width and depth as the old and set into the support pieces the same distance? Are the front and rear channels parallel? The front vertical channel is part of the wing window so very little adjustment possible but if slightly tilted or misadjusted at the top, the bottom of channel can be out quite a bit.

The only other thing I can think of that could change the width beyond the adjustment limits is if the L brackets on the rear vertical channel support are on the wrong side. If they were on the front side of the attachment tabs instead of rear that would increase the width by approx 1/8 or so.

The channels are right and left but don't think it is possible to reverse those and cause an issue because of the offset height location of the tabs. Just for grins are the tabs and L brackets more toward the front of channel as the illustration shows.

Attach file:

jpg  (15.06 KB)
209_55215330f0b3f.jpg 188X268 px

Posted on: 2015/4/5 9:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved