Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: '56 Patrician Bendix Steering Ram
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
Which unit is better.

Bendix or Monroe?

Packard introduced power steering for its cars in late 1952, using only Bendix equipment. The Monroe system was added for the 55th Series, but used on Clippers only. However, Monroe equipment seemed to find its way into Senior cars during 56th Series production run.

The Monroe linkage-type power steering system was also used on other vehicles 1954-60. In addition to 1955-56 Packard/Clipper, I believe other brands with Monroe equipment were 1953-55 Kaiser, 1954 Dodge/Plymouth, 1954-57 Nash/Hudson, and 1955-60 Rambler.

I think the Bendix linkage-type system was used on more brands and for at least as long; Studebaker used it well into the 1960s.

The Monroe system may seem simpler, but it lacks an idler arm as used in the Bendix to retain true parallelogram steering geometry.

I prefer Bendix.

Posted on: 2012/6/27 15:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
Thanks Men, that's given me the confidence to have a go at it, although the ram in question is my spare and is on the bench not in the car. Although now that I think more about it, perhaps I should consider fitting the seal kit to the ram on the car and put the spare back on the shelf. Hmmm, something to think about there. The shaft on the spare looks in good condition and I can't see any rust or pitting so that's why I was going to use that one. However, the one on the car may be just as good and it certainly works OK, apart from regularly leaving a deposit on the garage floor. Regards, John

Posted on: 2012/6/27 18:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Thanks, Brian,

i pulled a bendix unit off a wrecker..think it was a clipper. i did not get the pump..thought they were the same.

the monroe. is that chrysler.?,,,i hear you can go to mopar and get a seal repair kit.

rik

i may change mine out...have to think about it,

Posted on: 2012/6/27 21:45
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
i pulled a bendix unit off a wrecker..think it was a clipper. i did not get the pump..thought they were the same.

Except for one small, but critical difference, they are. Randy Berger noted this in Post #7 of this thread. Also, the site's 1955-56 Service Index, namely the Suspension & Steering section, shows a topic on pumps that confirms/explains this; see SC Vol. 29, No. 4 (p. 24) for additional info.

Quote:
the monroe. is that chrysler.?

Monroe, like Bendix, was an independent company that sought to design, manufacture, and supply equipment to automakers (and the aftermarket). The Monroe linkage-type power steering system was used only one year by Chrysler Corp. and only on Dodge and Plymouth models, as I noted previously. Chrysler and DeSoto models of that year used a system supplied by Gemmer.

Quote:
i hear you can go to mopar and get a seal repair kit.

I'd be surprised if any contemporary automaker was willing to supply parts for an obsolete design that old.

Quote:
i may change mine out...have to think about it

Though my preferences are for Bendix, I tend to stick with what the factory installed on the car - provided parts are available.

Yet, I'm still wondering why Monroe for Clipper and Bendix for Seniors in 1955, when Monroe equipment was also used on '56 Senior cars. The latter might have been the result of supply problems, but it would be nice to find some factory documentation on that.

Posted on: 2012/6/28 9:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
fyi...my jr 55 car had bendix. but that might have been cause it was top line jr. nevermind it had zero options inside the car.

Posted on: 2012/6/28 9:18
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Yet, I'm still wondering why Monroe for Clipper and Bendix for Seniors in 1955, when Monroe equipment was also used on '56 Senior cars. The latter might have been the result of supply problems, but it would be nice to find some factory documentation on that.
I think it was the same reason that Packard used Auto-lite on Clippers and Delco on Packards. Merely to keep two suppliers on hand. The handwriting may have been on the wall in 56 and PMCC was just using up stock.
My original 56 had Monroe. Current 56 came with Bendix but parts car had Monroe. I got an NOS Monroe ram on ebay and converted to Monroe which I prefer because of less moving parts and less rubber hoses.

Posted on: 2012/6/28 12:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I suspect Randy is pretty much on target as always. My 56 Carib is a very late (June manufacture) car and it has Bendix as the seniors were supposed to, and I suspect inventory control issues were the reason some especially late 56 seniors had Monroe. By then the handwriting was already on the wall and consuming inventory in stock would have (or should have) been a priority

I also suspect though I have no $ information that Monroe was selected for the juniors because it was a less expensive item - or should have been with no idler arm, 2 fewer pressure hoses, and overall simplicity. Plus Monroe was looking to break Bendix' stranglehold on the sector and was probably more willing to price attractively.

Frankly, I doubt it's possible to drive two cars, one with each system, and reach any valid conclusions about the performance differences if there really were any; by this time age and use has taken some toll on suspension and steering systems and any perceived differences could be due to many other factors.

Posted on: 2012/6/28 12:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
my clipper is all delco too btw. so are we trying to say my constellation is a full Packard and belongs with the true seniors? i think not, but i do like to think of it as the carribean of the clippers.

Posted on: 2012/6/28 13:15
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
My 56 Carib is a very late (June manufacture) car and it has Bendix as the seniors were supposed to, and I suspect inventory control issues were the reason some especially late 56 seniors had Monroe. By then the handwriting was already on the wall and consuming inventory in stock would have (or should have) been a priority.

You might be interested to know, then, that one of my '56 Patricians has Monroe equipment and chrome-plated grille screens. Also, the back of the clock was stamped "DEC 1955". This suggests Monroe equipment was introduced comparatively early in the 56th Series production run - not simply a matter of the last days in the bunker.

However, I need to amend my interpretation of steering equipment application a bit. A check of the parts book seems to indicate that BOTH Bendix AND Monroe equipment could have been used on either Packard OR Clipper models for 1956.

Then, I took another look at the shop manual. The lube chart illustrations actually depict BOTH Monroe AND Bendix power steering equipment for 1955 Clippers (as viewed from below the chassis). While that contradicts the parts book a bit, it seems to authenticate the build for Hank's car. Apparently, a supplement was deemed unnecessary for 56th Series.

Any competitive pricing scenario would seem to be moot, then - at least WRT Junior vs. Senior.

Posted on: 2012/6/28 19:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Owen,

Randy, on target,,all you guys are on target,, its great to hear all of this..

Posted on: 2012/6/28 22:24
Riki
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved